Alma's new UI includes many major improvements to Alma's look and feel, with a better color palette, new iconography and fonts, simpler menu systems, smoother flow, and other look-and-feel improvements. In addition, the new UI includes several new features. For the main page on the new UI, see The Alma User Interface.
Look and Feel Improvements
The Persistent Menu
Alma Home Page
- Home page institution icon - Select to return to the Alma home page.
- Quick Links Menu - See Quick Links Menu.
- Main Menu Navigation Bar - The Alma Main Menu was split into major sub-menus, and is now called the Main Menu Navigation Bar. Some options were moved, removed, or changed names.
- All Find options were removed, as they can now be performed directly in the Persistent Search Box.
- The Resource Management top level menu is now called Resources.
- Publishing Profiles and Manage Import Profiles are now under Resources instead of in the configuration menu.
- All configuration options were moved to the configuration menu (see the configuration page link, below).
- Analytics has its own top-level menu.
- Persistent Search Box - Now appears below the top menu. Simple search includes both the entity to search (All Titles, Electronic Portfolios, Vendors, and so forth) and the main search criteria (Keywords, ISBN, and so forth). The search criteria vary depending on the selected search entity. Some pages also have a secondary search, allowing you to filter items on the page (in place of the Find/in search box).
The advanced search now appears by expanding the simple persistent search box when you select the Advanced link to the right of the Persistent Search Box. For additional new features, see Simple and Advanced Search Enhancements.
- Main menu icons - Icons include (from left to right):
Icon Description Library/desk selector Institution selector (only appears when enabled and for a user who has credentials in multiple member institutions implementing the same Network Zone) (not shown) RFID connection icon (only appears when an RFID integration profile is defined) User menu Tasks list Configuration page link Help link.
- Recent Pages widget - Displays the pages you have most recently visited. Select to go directly to one of the pages.
- Widgets / Manage Widgets Button - Widgets are a small pane on information or actions that are relevant to your user role and Alma's current status. Some widgets contain links that you can select to view more information. See Managing Widgets.
Action buttons on various pages were moved to more prominent locations on the page. In particular, the Save and Cancel buttons that appear on many pages now appear at the top of the page in the sticky persistent menu. See Sticky Persistent and Facets Menu.
If you resize the window, any action buttons in this menu combine into (or separate from) a ... menu that appears in the menu, in order to account for the available space.
Tabs with tables or lists that have contents now show a blue triangle (instead of the previous blue box).
Tabs with Contents
Record Lists Look and Feel Improvements
The list of records that appears on many pages (search results, PO lines in review, lending requests, and so forth) was reorganized.
Repository Search Results
The row actions list appears when you select the ... icon or when you right-click the item in the record list. Two of the actions appear as buttons and do not appear in the row actions list when you select the ... icon. You can configure the fields and actions on this page; see Configuring Record Lists.
Important, but secondary information appears at the bottom of each item in tabs. Tabs are collapsed by default. The tabs depend on the page.
- Search results:
- Physical, Electronic, Digital holdings information, as well as item, portfolio, or representation information. Select Expand if you want one of these tabs expanded by default on the page.
- Other details - More information
- Available Information - Appears when the inventory is restricted to an inventory management group.
- Lending requests:
- Availability - Holdings information
- Other details - More information
- Borrowing requests:
- Other details - More information
To configure how this page appears, see Configuring Record Lists.
When viewing a record list as a result of looking for a record to select (such as when selecting Change Bib Record for a PO line), you can select the record by selecting anywhere in the record row. (in the old UI, you had to select the checkbox beside the record and select Select).
Other Table and List Improvements
- The Export menu (formerly the Tools menu) now appears as an icon .
- The top pagination element was removed. If the bottom pagination element is not visible, a floating pagination element appears at the bottom of the page.
- The Find/in filter was replaced with a secondary search box that appears at the top of a list or table. Note that the persistent search box continues to appear at the top of the page; this search is a secondary search for searching the list/table.
- The Quick Add area was moved to an Add Row drop-down pane above the table.
Quick Add Drop-Down PaneAreas within pages in which you can add multiple lines (such as locations for ordered items) also use the Add <X> drop-down (instead of a quick pick list).
- The Actions menu at the end of each table row is now a ... drop-down list, and is also available by right-clicking anywhere in the row. An additional action, Copy cell value, appears at the bottom of the list.
Reading List Tasks List Page
New UI Features
Quick Links Menu
The Quick Links Menu appears in the persistent menu. You can add any options from any menus in the Main Menu Navigation Bar to this menu. This provides you with a quick means of accessing options that you frequently use.
An option that is a quick link is marked with a blue star in the Main Menu Navigation Bar. The star appears when you hover your mouse to the left of any other option. Select the star to mark the item as a quick link. Select the star again to remove it from the quick links menu.
Main Menu Navigation Bar
Select the Quick Links Menu icon to view the list of options that you have marked as quick links. Select the Main Menu Navigation Bar icon to redisplay the complete main menu. If you have selected several options for the Quick Links Menu, select the three dots ... to view the rest of your quick links.
Quick Links Menu Extended
Show/Hide Current Location
The current location is hidden by default in the new UI. Most users work at a single location and do not need to see this. However, you may want the location to appear in the persistent menu, like it did in the old UI. To display the current location in the persistent menu, select Always show current location in the library/desk selector menu.
Library/Desk Selector Menu
Current Location in Persistent Menu
New Reports in Analytics
New reports in the Analytics menu are marked as new.
New Report in Analytics
Sticky Persistent and Facets Menus
When you scroll down on any page, the persistent menu remains at the top of the page (the persistent search menu becomes hidden) and the left facets menu (if there is one) remains stationary. Select the up arrow at the bottom right to quickly return to the top of the page.
Note that you can hide or redisplay facets using the down or right arrows to the right of the facet name.
Repository Search Page
You can minimize the Facets pane by selecting << beside the word Facets. When hidden, a small stripe appears on the left of the screen.
You can view the facets by hovering your mouse over the Facets stripe.
Expanded Facets While Hovering Mouse
Select >> to restore the Facets pane.
Configuring Record Lists
In addition to the changes in the look and feel (see Record Lists Look and Feel Improvements), you can configure the fields and actions that appear on record lists, such as search results, lending requests, and PO lines in review. Select the configuration icon above the list to open a configuration pane.
The pane may not appear fully expanded. Select Show all to expand the pane.
Repository Search - Configuration Pane Contracted
Repository Search - Configuration Pane Expanded
You can configure the fields that appear for each item in the record list. Select a column layout to change the number of columns. Drag and drop fields between columns. Hide a field by clearing the field's checkbox.
You can drag and drop actions to configure which ones appear as the two action buttons. You can also clear an action so that it does not appear when you right-click the record (note that the action continues to appear when you select the ... icon).
Drop-Down List Enhancements
In the various drop-down lists, you can enter part of the field name and then select it from the list of matching terms that appears.
Terms Matching Entered Text
For some drop-down lists, terms are grouped into expandable/collapsible sub-menus.
Terms in Multi-Level Drop-Down List
Recent terms that you selected appear at the top of the list.
Recently Selected Terms at the Top of the List
Quick Pick List Enhancements
Quick pick lists were improved to provide less interruption to the workflow. A quick pick list can be identified by the icon in the field.
When selecting an item from a quick pick list (vendors, funds, users, and so forth), the list appears in an overlay pane, rather than on a new page.
Funds and Ledgers Selection List
You select an item by selecting the item's row (instead of having to select a radio button and then select Select).
If you have previously selected items of this type, select the recent icon in the selection field to select any recently selected item.
Simple and Advanced Search Enhancements
As noted above, simple search includes both the entity to search (All Titles, Electronic Portfolios, Vendors, and so forth) and the main search criteria (Keywords, ISBN, and so forth). The search criteria vary depending on the selected search entity. The advanced search now appears by expanding the simple persistent search box when you select the Advanced link to the right of the persistent search box.
The simple search was enhanced with the following features:
- In the persistent search box, the entity and criteria are pre-selected according to your last search. Select in the search box to immediately run any of your most recent searches. Alma saves the last 10 searches in search history for title or inventory entity searches.
- Select forward slash / on any page to have your cursor jump to the main search box on the page: the secondary search box for the page (if one exists; see above) or the persistent search box.
The advanced search was enhanced/changed as follows:
The logic of how advanced searches are built changed in Alma's new UI from Alma's classic UI. As a result, saved advanced search queries (logical sets) built in the classic UI cannot be edited in the new UI (and vice versa). See Advanced Search Logic: Differences Between the Classic and New UI.
- The advanced search for PO lines, which was formerly only available when creating a set, is now available using the standard advanced search feature.
- Select the item type to search in the drop-down list at the top left.
- Select the repository to search: local (Institution Zone), Alma (Community Zone), or your collaborative network (Network Zone).
- The search starts with a single row, enabling you to select a field to search. To add additional rows, select the duplicate row icon () or add row icon (). To remove a row (other than the first), select the delete row icon ().
- Each row defaults as additional search criteria that must also match (AND). Select the first field in any row (other than the first) to change the combination type to OR. An implied parentheses is added around all search rows connected by ANDs.
- In the field drop-down list of each row, select the field to search, or enter part of the field name and then select it from the list of matching fields that appears.
- Depending on the field you select, select the match type in the next field in the row. Typical match types include Contains Keywords (words in any order, separated by spaces), Contains Phrase, Is Empty, Starts With, Equals, Not Equals, Greater Than, Greater or Equal Than, Less Than, Less or Equal Than.
- Depending on the match type you select, enter or select the full or partial value(s) in the last field in the row. This field may be a text field to enter free text, a drop-down list, or a calendar selection tool. For certain drop-down lists, such library and permanent physical location, you can select multiple matching values (see the example for Library, above).
- The results of an advanced search appear on the page, below the advanced search form. You can edit the advanced search and run a new search from the results page.
Advanced Search Results
Consolidated Configuration Menus
All configuration menus are accessible using the configuration page link. Selecting this link opens the consolidated Alma Configuration page.
Alma Configuration Page
Select Back to Alma to return to Alma.
The Alma Configuration page includes a Location drop-down box to select the location to configure.
When you enter text in the search box, the list of configuration options is filtered to only include the options that match your entered text, with the text highlighted in the matching options. The number of matching options in each Alma area appears next to the area tab on the left.
Alma Configuration Page, Filtered
Messages that appear on the page can be closed by selecting the X on the right of the message.
New PO Line Page