Alma publishes the activation status of electronic holdings (all unsuppressed holdings), as well as the CDI search activation to the Central discovery index (CDI) in an institutional holdings file, which CDI then uses to determine the full text availability of electronic holdings, as well as the collections to be searched for each institution. To publish electronic holdings to Central Discovery Index, you must configure and run a publishing profile in Alma.
When working with a Network Zone, the system publishes electronic holdings from the Network Zone and each member institution at the same time and creates the following, respectively:
- One institutional holdings file for each "Available for" group that has been defined in the Network Zone. Each "Available for" group corresponds to each of the member institutions.
- One institutional holdings file from each member institution.
Each day, the system merges the above institutional holdings files into a single institutional holdings file so that it can be harvested by Central Discovery Index.
To configure publishing to Central Discovery Index, you must have one of the following roles:
- Catalog Administrator
- Repository Administrator
- General System Administrator
The publishing profile allows you to configure the settings used to generate the electronic holdings file that Central Discovery Index uses to update the status indicators. This process should be run daily to make sure that the holdings information is accurate.
The Electronic Profiles section in the Publish electronic records to Central Discovery Index job allows you to define profiles for groups of libraries and campuses that are defined as inventory management groups in a multicampus configuration. This allows the publishing job to create additional holdings files at the campus/library level so that Central Discovery Index can determine the full-text availability per Alma campus/library (each of which can be defined separately as a Primo institution, or all together as one Primo institution).
To configure the publishing profile for Central Discovery Index publishing:
- On the Publishing Profiles Details page (Resources > Publishing > Publishing Profiles), select Edit in the row actions list for the Publish electronic records to Central Discovery Index profile. The Publishing Profile Details page opens.
Publishing Profile Details Page (Standard Configuration)Publishing Profile Details Page (Multicampus Configuration)
- In the Publishing Parameters section, select Active or Inactive and select a scheduling option.
If your institution works with a Network Zone, this export process must be run at the Network Zone before it is run at each member institution. This allows updates to the Network Zone inventory to be included in the holdings file for each member institution.
- Select Email Notifications to specify which users and email addresses will receive email notifications when the publishing profile is complete.
- If each group of campuses/libraries in a multicampus configuration is defined as a Primo institution, define a profile for each group of campuses and libraries. Otherwise, continue to the next step:
- Select Add Profile.
- Enter a name for campus or library in Profile name with no spaces. Optionally add a description.
- Select Add and Close.
- Select Edit in the row actions list to edit the new profile. The Publishing Profile Details page appears.
Publishing Profile Details Page (Electronic Profile Members)
- In the Electronic profile members section, select Add another member to add members to the profile group (select either campuses or libraries, or both).
- Campus – Select a campus and select Add Campus.
- Library – Select a library and select Add Library.
- Select Save to save the changes to the member profile.
- Select Save to save the changes to the export publishing profile.
Data that meets the defined criteria is exported to the institutional holdings file when the profile is run according to the selected schedule.
For information on monitoring a publishing export job, see Viewing Running Jobs. For information on the job report, see Viewing Completed Jobs.
The Output of the Publishing Process
The publishing job writes the holdings information to the following file for standard configurations:
For multicampus configurations, the publishing job writes the holdings information to the following file for each group of campuses/libraries:
Publishing to Central Discovery Index in a Multicampus or Available For Environment
For Primo VE configuration information, see Multicampus Setup in Primo VE.
If inventory management groups are set up to offer different electronic services to different libraries and/or campuses, Primo must take this into account, too. Primo must account for:
- The Central Discovery Index profile (per each group)
- The Alma OpenURL definition (per each group)
When you publish to Central Discovery Index in a multicampus / available for environment, add a separate publishing profile for each campus that corresponds to an inventory management group. Creating a profile for each inventory management group allows each group to retrieve its own resources from Central Discovery Index.
Each group should have its own central index profile, because:
- Each group subscribes to different electronic materials, so each group should see a different set of resources activated from the Central Discovery Index index.
- The indication of availability on the results (full-text availability) is different for each group.
- Each profile must take its relevant holdings file according to the Publishing to Central Discovery Index Profile that was set up.
You must add an Alma OpenURL definition for each group. Since each Primo institution is set to work with one of the groups, ensure that the electronic services that are provided are for the correct campus. This is done as described above in Adding Access to Resources by Adding a Campus to an OpenURL. In addition, see Alma Multicampus Setup in Primo regarding Primo integration details.
Configuring CDI to Use the Institutional Holdings File
In order for CDI to update the status indicators for the institutional holdings, it must know where the published holdings file is stored. Although the holdings file should be updated daily, this configuration needs to be set only once, which may occur while registering your institution with the Primo Central/Central Discovery Index service. Registration for Primo Central will also work for CDI, no new registration is required.
- You can assign only one institutional holdings file per Client UID (or PC Key). If you are already a Central Discovery Index customer and you want to use the PC for Alma, you must register a new client, get a new PC Key, and link the PC Key to the Primo institution that is integrated with Alma. This will also allow you to create an independent environment to test the integration of Alma and Central Discovery Index.
- When using Primo in a multicampus environment, you must define a Primo institution for each PC publishing profile to register separate holdings files per inventory management group. For more information, see Alma Multicampus Setup in Primo.
- When using Primo VE in a multicampus environment, you must define a PCI profile for each campus/library and assign each to a view to register separate holdings files per inventory management group. For more information, see Multicampus Setup in Primo VE.
To set the URL of the holdings file:
- Access the back office for the PCI service:
The main menu on the My Profile page opens to allow you update your Central Discovery Index settings.
- For Primo: In the Primo Back Office, select Profile next to the PC Key field in the Institution Wizard (Primo Home > Ongoing Configuration Wizards > Institution Wizard). This button does not appear until you have registered your Primo institution to use Central Discovery Index.
- For Primo VE: In Alma, select View my Profile on the Central Index and Proxy Setup page (Configuration Menu > Discovery > Other > Central Index and proxy set-up). This button does not appear until you have registered your Primo institution to use Central Discovery Index.
- Select My Client Applications to display the list of clients associated with your institution.
- Select the client application that was used to register the Central Discovery Index service in Primo.
- Select Edit Client Attributes.
- In the Institutional holdings file URL field, use the following format to enter the URL for the holdings file:
- For standard configuration:
- For multicampus configuration(member_code should be set to the name of the PC publishing profile):
- For standard configuration: