To process renewals, you must have the following role:
- Purchasing Operator
- Purchsing Manager
You can edit PO lines marked for automatic or manual renewal at any time. However, you cannot edit the vendor or acquisition method of these PO lines.
Renewals can be processed only after the PO Line – Renewal job has run. (The process must be marked as Active on the Monitor Jobs page.)
After the PO Line - Renewal job runs, the PO Lines to Renew page (Acquisitions > Purchase Order Lines > Renew) lists all the PO lines that are due for renewal. You can access the PO Lines to Renew page also by clicking the Order Lines – Waiting for Renewal link in the Tasks List (see Tasks in the Task ListTasks in the Task List).
PO Lines to Renew Page
Renewals are not assigned to users, which is why the Assigned/Unassigned tabs do not appear on this page. The Assigned to field always shows a - (except in rare cases when the PO Line - Renewal job is processing that PO line at that very moment).
To view a PO line, click the name of the PO line. The PO line summary page appears (for details, see Viewing PO Line Information – Renewals). The PO Line Summary page for renewals is almost the same as the PO Line Summary page for regular acquisitions. The sections on this page and the respective fields that are specific for renewals are described in the Summary Tab Fields - Renewals table in Processing Renewals. For details on all other fields on this page, see Editing PO Line Information.
In addition, you can perform the following management tasks on a PO line to renew:
- Edit – See Editing PO Line Information – Renewals
- Start a Trial or Request Evaluation – When a PO line for a trial is created, it is automatically sent to the review task list. Depending on your role, you can either start the trial or request evaluation. For more information on trials/evaluations, see Evaluations and Trials. The minimum time that a PO line can be renewed after an evaluation is set in the vendor account; see Adding a Vendor and Vendor Account.
- Close – See Closing PO Lines
- Cancel – See Canceling PO Lines
- Delete – See Deleting PO Lines
You can edit the displayed PO lines on the PO Line Summary page.
To edit PO line information for renewals:
- Click Edit in the row actions list for the relevant PO line on the PO Lines to Renew page (Acquisitions > Purchase Order Lines > Renew). The PO Line Summary page appears, displaying a brief description of the PO line, its status, type (book/e-package), the library for which the item is being ordered, and the PO and PO line numbers. The tabs on the PO Line Summary page are described in Editing PO Line Information.
PO Line Summary Page
- In the Summary tab, modify the displayed PO line information, as required. A description of selected (non self-explanatory) fields, common to all PO lines, is provided in the Summary Tab Fields table in Manually Creating a PO Line. The following table describes the sections and fields that are specific to PO lines for renewals:
Summary Tab Fields - Renewals Section Field Description Renewal Manual renewal When selected (default), the PO line for the renewal appears in the renewals task list (Acquisitions > Purchase Order Lines > Renew) when the material is due for renewal. Further processing of this PO line must be performed manually.Clear this check box if you want the PO line for the renewal processed automatically. Subscription from date The date that the subscription for the PO line began. Subscription to date If no date is entered, the renewal continues in perpetuity.The PO line closes when the automatic renewal job detects that the Subscription to date has passed.When a manual renewal job detects that the Subscription to date has passed, the PO line’s status becomes Waiting for manual renewal.This date indicates the last day of the subscription and must not be confused with the Renewal date. For example, if you take out a subscription for five years that must be renewed annually (Renewal cycle = one year), the Subscription to date is the last day of the five-year period. Renewal date (Required) The renewal date.For automatic renewals, this date is entered when the initial subscription is created. Thereafter, it is automatically incremented according to the Renewal cycle.For manual renewals, this date is entered when the initial subscription is created, and then manually incremented at each renewal cycle. Renewal cycle The renewal cycle period — for example, 1 month or 1 year. Renewal reminder period (days) (Required) For manual renewals, the number of days before the renewal date that the operator wants to be reminded about the renewal (that is, the number of days before the renewal date that the operator wants the renewal to be added to the task list (Acquisitions > Purchase Order Lines > Renew). For example, if the renewal date is the 10th of May and the Renewal reminder period is 5, the renewal is added to the task list on the 5th of May.).The maximum number of days that can be entered in this field is 120.
- In the Description tab, modify the PO line information, as required.
- In the Alerts tab, view the alerts that were generated for the PO line. The following are the most common alerts generated by the system:
- Waiting for Renewal – Generated when the calculated Renewal date for an automatic renewal is later than the Subscription to date. The PO line for the renewal appears in the Waiting for Renewal task list (Acquisitions > Purchase Order Lines > Renew) with this alert.
- There is an active, duplicated order # for this ordered resource – Generated when there is a duplicated order for the resource.
- In the Invoice Lines tab, view, add, or edit any invoice lines associated with the PO line. For information on invoice lines, see Creating an Invoice From a PO or Manually.
- In the Associated PO Lines tab, view the PO lines associated with the current PO line, as required. For details on editing a PO line, see Creating PO Lines.
- In the Communications tab, start a new communication with the vendor. If there is an existing communication with the vendor, you can enter details of the reply from the vendor and/or follow up on the communication with your reply to the vendor. For details on this tab, see Communicating with Vendors.
- In the Notes tab, edit as required any notes that may have been included when the PO line was created. For details on working with notes, see step 16 in Manually Creating a PO Line.
- In the Attachments tab, edit as required any attachments that may have been included when the PO line was created. For details on working with attachments, see step 17 in Manually Creating a PO Line.
- In the Interested Users tab, you can add or modify the activities for interested users. See the Interested Users tab in Manually Creating a PO Line.
Notification is not sent to users when a PO line is canceled or deleted.
- After you have completed editing the PO line, select one of the following actionsoptions from the Go drop-down list (not all actions are available for all PO lines):
- Renew — Renew the PO line and recalculate the renewal date.
- Relink – Changes the bibliographic record to which the PO line is linked (see Relinking PO Lines).
- Cancel line — The PO line is not renewed and is canceled. A dialog box appears, requesting a reason for the cancellation and, if vendor notification is configured, a cancellation notification is sent to the vendor (see Canceling PO Lines).
- Change Bib Reference – Changes the bibliographic record of the PO line. See Changing Bibliographic Reference.
- Save — The information you modified is saved, but the status of the PO line remains Waiting for Renewal and the PO line does not continue to the next stage of the renewal workflow. Use this option if you are unsure as to whether you want the PO line to continue to the next stage of the renewal workflow.
- Save and Request Evaluation – The information you entered is saved and a trial is requested. Use this option if you do not have the Trial Operator/Trial Manager role. The PO line’s status changes to Under Evaluation and moves to the Manage Trials page with the status Requested, where the Trial Operator/Trial Manager can access it and continue with step 3 in the evaluation workflow. This option is available only for electronic PO lines that create inventory.
- Save and Start Trial – The information you entered is saved and a trial is started. Use this option is you have the Trial Operator/Trial Manager role and want to start the trial. The PO line’s status changes to Under Evaluation and the Trial Details page opens (continue with the evaluation workflow at step 3). This option is available only for electronic PO lines that create inventory.
- Change Vendor - See Changing Vendors - Renewals.
- Close – The PO line is closed. Click Confirm in the confirmation dialog box to close the PO line (see Closing PO Lines).
- Delete – The PO line is deleted. Click Confirm in the confirmation dialog box to delete the PO line (see Deleting PO Lines).
- Replace (Only) Vendor – Change the vendor to which the PO line is sent (see Changing Vendors – Renewals).
- Save as template —The entered field values are saved as part of a template.
You can change the vendor to which the PO line is sent when renewing the PO line. Changing the vendor closes the PO line and creates a new one.
To change the vendor:
- After you have completed editing the PO line (see Editing PO Line Information – Renewals), select Change Vendor from the Go drop-down listclick Change Vendor and click Confirm in the confirmation dialog box. The following dialog box appears:
Change Vendor on Order
- Select the target vendor/account and click Change Vendor on Order.
The following occurs:
- The current PO line is closed.
- A new PO line for the new target vendor/account is created.
- The new PO line is associated with inventory from the closed PO line.
- The new PO line is set to In Review status from which the operator can update the new PO line with new information, according to the information communicated with the new target vendor.
For more information on changing the vendor account details, see the Change Vendor of a Purchase Order video (3:13 mins).