The following sections present elements that appear or remain consistent in the UI for all users.
The home page is the initial page that appears when you log in to Alma. You return to the Alma home page when you click the logo in the persistent menu or when you cancel certain actions in Alma.
Alma Home Page Elements
The elements on the Alma home page and items available in the menus depend on your user role and the information available at your institution. However, the home page always presents:
- Persistent Menu – For information, see The Persistent Menu)
- Maintenance Message (if there is one to display) – A message about upcoming maintenance may appear under the persistent menu. Click Dismiss to dismiss the message and prevent its reappearance.
- Predefined or Customized Widgets – The widgets that appear are relevant to your user role and the current status of your system. Some of these widgets contain links that you can click to view more information. For information on displaying or removing these widgets, see Managing Widgets.
You can display or remove widgets from the Alma home page.
An administrator can configure the availability and contents of the widgets. For more information, see Configuring Widgets.
To display a widget on the Alma home page:
- Click Add Widget in the persistent menu on the Alma home page. A list of the widgets that are defined for your user privilege appear. For example:
- Click the gray check mark to the left of the widget that you want to display. The check mark becomes yellow to indicate that the widget is active. To remove a widget while you are on this page, click the yellow check mark to the left of the widget. The check mark becomes gray to indicate that the widget is not active.
For example, if you select the check mark next to Notifications, the following widget (that is, the Notifications Web page that was created and then defined on the Customize Widgets page) is displayed on the home page:Notifications Widget
- Click Close when you are done.
To remove a widget from the Alma home page:
Click Remove in the drop-down menu at the top right corner of the widget.
Notifications Widget - Remove
List of Widgets
The following widgets are available in Alma, depending on your user roles. Items in plain font are categories of widgets, rather than the actual name of a pre-defined widget.
|Analytics||As defined by the widget||
There may be multiple Analytics object widgets with various names, descriptions, and information. You must have at least one of the roles defined for the widget to be able to view it.
For more information on Analytics widgets, see Running Analytics Reports and Displaying Them in Alma.
|Tasks||All||Displays tasks in the task list (see Tasks in the Task List), including a count of how many tasks. Click a row to open the Alma page that enables you to deal with the task.|
|Notifications||All||Notifications to all users from your administrators. If the notification includes a link, click the link to open the page. For information on configuring these notifications, see Configuring the Home Page Notification Widget.|
|Organizational Calendar||All||Information about institution and library hours and special events. A few days are shown in the widget; click View Full Calendar to open a pane with the full calendar. For information on configuring hours and events, see Managing Institution/Library Open Hours.|
|Scheduled Job Status||All||The status of scheduled jobs that ran in your institution, organized by type over the last five days. If there are any failed jobs, a red ! appears for that type on that date. Click the More Info link to view the Monitor Jobs page with those jobs pre-filtered to appear. See Viewing Completed Jobs. For more information about this widget, see Viewing Scheduled Job Summary Status.|
|Primo Dashboard||All||The status of the last publishing job to Primo. Click Publishing Jobs List to view the Monitor Jobs page with that job pre-filtered to appear. See Viewing Completed Jobs. To configure this widget, see Adding Primo Search Box to the Alma Home Page.|
|Consortia Member Links||All||This widget is available for all institutions, but it only has meaning for institutions that are members of a collaborative network implementing a Network Zone (see Managing Multiple Institutions Using a Network Zone). Select a member institution to open a new tab, enabling you to log in to that institution.|
|Sandbox(es)||All||The status of your institution's sandboxes, if any. If any sandboxes appear, click to open a new tab, enabling you to log in to that sandbox. Otherwise, click More Info to open the Sandbox Management page. For more information, see Sandbox Management.|
|System Jobs Dashboard||Acquisitions Administrator, General System Administrator||
This widget provides information about acquisitions system jobs that have run. Click a job to view the Monitor Jobs page with that job pre-filtered to appear. See Viewing Completed Jobs.
|Administrator-created||As defined by the widget||Administrators can create widgets linked to information on any website. For more information, see Configuring Widgets.|
Every page in Alma has the same header, which is called the persistent menu.
The persistent menu contains the following elements:
- Logo – The logo of your consortia or institution. Click the logo on any page to return to the Alma home page.
- Welcome Message – Includes your user name.
- Alma Main Menu – The main menu used to navigate in Alma. Throughout this document, any reference to this menu uses a path of menu and sub-menu elements as follows: main section > sub-section > specific option, for example Resource Management > Search > Repository Search. If the resulting page is also a menu of options, these options may appear in the documentation as additional elements to the path.
Alma Main MenuSelect an option to navigate to the relevant page and close the menu. You can also click the X in the top right corner to close the menu.The options in the Alma main menu depend on several factors, in particular the library/location to which you are logged in (Switching Library Desks/Departments) and your user role (see Managing User Roles). For the roles that are required to see each option, see User Roles – Descriptions and Accessible Components.
- Persistent Search Box – The quickest method of searching Alma, whether for library items, purchase orders, or users. For more information, see Using the Persistent Search Box.
Persistent Search Box and List of Options
- Tasks List – A list of task types that may require your attention. Each line indicates the task type and the number of tasks of that type. Select a line to open the page that enables you to manage these task types. For more information see Tasks in the Task List.
- Analytics Link – A menu of links to Analytics pages that are relevant to your user roles. For more information about configuring these links, see Running Analytics Reports and Displaying Them in Alma.
Analytics Drop-Down Menu
- Library/Desk Selector – The physical location at which you are currently located. For more information, see Switching Library Desks/Departments.
- Help Link – A menu of help options. Select one of:
- Browse Online Help – Open the Online Help.
- Help For This Page – Open the Online Help page that is relevant to the current UI page that you are on.
- What’s New Videos – View a page with links to the most recent video tutorials.
- Hide (or View) “Show Me How” – Relevant only when "Show Me How" walk-throughs are available.
- Alma Release Schedule – Display a pop-up with the last several, and next several, Alma release dates.
Release Dates Pop-upThe current release version and build number appear at the bottom of the Help menu.
- Suggest an Idea – Suggest an idea to Ex Libris. Click to open the Ex Libris Idea Exchange page in a new window.
Ex Libris Idea ExchangeYour administrator may have removed this link. See Configuring Other Settings.
- Generate Tracking ID - You can generate a tracking ID that assists Ex Libris in debugging, by clicking the new Generate Tracking ID link from the Persistent Menu (Help > Generate Tracking ID). Use this option when an error occurs and the standard error message with a tracking ID does not appear automatically. Generate the ID as soon as possible after the error occurs. This ID enables Ex Libris to provide better initial analysis of the issues that you are encountering and helps identify inconsistent problems. Provide this ID in any Salesforce issue that you open. The following is an example of a tracking ID:
Generate Tracking IDThe tracking ID is not enough on its own to resolve your issue. You should still provide as many details of the problem as possible, such as the steps in the workflow that led to the error, which entities were involved (user identifier, item barcode, etc.), and any other information that could be relevant.Watch the Tracking ID Generator video
- User Menu – Your user name appears as a link. Click the link to open the User Menu. The options in this menu are as follows:
- In some institutions, the first item in the menu is a language selector that you can use to change the language used in the UI. See To change the language of the interface, below.
- Change Password – Change your password. See To change your password, below.
- User Details – Display details about your user on the User Details page. For more information, see Editing Users.
- Detach from social account – If your user account has been associated with a social account and you wish to disassociate the two, click this option to do so. This only appears if the user account is associated with a social account.
- Sign Out – Log out. See Logging Into and Out of the User Interface.
- Add Widget Button (appears only on the Alma home page) – Display a widget on the home page. See Managing Widgets.
To change the language of the interface:
- Click your user name at the top right corner of any page. A drop-down menu appears. The top item in the menu is a drop-down sub-menu with the available languages for the user interface.
- Select a new language from the drop-down sub-menu.
The user interface changes to the selected language. Currencies and numbers in the UI and exported Excel files change to match the standard defined by the language (with commas, periods, and spaces in the appropriate locations).
To change your password:
- Click your user name at the top right corner of any page. A drop-down menu appears.
- Select Change Password from the menu. The Change Password page appears.
Change Password Page
- Enter your current password and your new password in the relevant fields.
- Click Save. Your new password is saved.
Depending on your institution’s setup, you may be required to use passwords of a certain length, to include certain characters in your password, or to change your password at certain times.
Alma presents to you the features and options that are relevant to your user role and your logged in desk or department.
You can see your current logged in desk/department in the Currently At field in the top menu on any page.
If your institution is part of a collaborative network and you are permitted to switch between member institutions (you have a user account in multiple institutions), you can also switch between institutions. For more information, see Switching Between Institutions.
To switch the UI to another desk/department:
- Click the Currently At link in the top menu on any page. A dialog box appears.
Choose Your Current Desk/Department Dialog Box
- Select the desired desk or department and click Select. The UI changes to present the available options and pages relevant to the new desk or department.
The following tasks can appear in the task list:
- Borrowing requests - New - with no partner
- Borrowing requests - Overdue
- Borrowing requests cancelled by partner
- Borrowing requests recalled
- Borrowing requests returned by patron
- Borrowing requests with active general messages
- Borrowing requests with active notes
For information about managing borrowing requests, see Managing Resource Sharing Borrowing Requests.
- Electronic resources - activation - assigned to you
- Electronic resources - activation - passed due date - assigned to you
- Electronic resources - activation - passed due date - unassigned
- Electronic resources - activation - unassigned
For information about activating electronic resources, see Managing Electronic Resource Activation.
- Import (EOD) - match issues
- Import (EOD) - validation issues
- Import - match issues
- Import - validation issues
For information about resolving import issues, see Resolving Import Issues.
- Invoices - approval - assigned to you
- Invoices - approval - without assignment
- Invoices - review - assigned to you
- Invoices - review - without assignment
- Items - deposit
- Items - digitization
- Items - document delivery
- Requests - Digitization - need approval
These tasks only appear when you are at a digitization department. For information about managing digitization requests, see Digitization Processing.
- Items - in department
- Requests - All - pickup from shelf
- Lending requests - New - assigned to you
- Lending requests - New - unassigned
- Lending requests - Overdue - assigned to you
- Lending requests - Overdue - unassigned
- Lending requests - Recalled - assigned to you
- Lending requests - Recalled - unassigned
- Lending requests failed locate - assigned to you
- Lending requests failed locate - unassigned
- Lending requests with active general messages - assigned to you
- Lending requests with active general messages - unassigned
- Lending requests with active notes - assigned to you
- Lending requests with active notes - unassigned
For information about managing lending requests, see Managing Resource Sharing Lending Requests.
- Order Lines - deferred - assigned to you
- Order Lines - packaging
- Order Lines - review - assigned to you
- Order Lines - review - unassigned
- Order Lines - waiting for renewal
- Order Lines in evaluation - analysis
- Order Lines in evaluation - draft
- Order Lines in evaluation - requested
- Order Lines with claims
- Orders - approval
- Orders - review
- Purchase requests - assigned to you
- Purchase requests - unassigned
For information about managing purchase requests, see Managing Purchase Requests.
- Reading lists - unassigned - Complete
- Reading lists - unassigned - Processing
- Reading lists - assigned to me - reading for processing
- Reading lists - unassigned - citation has a new note
- Reading lists - assigned to me - citation has a new note
For information about managing reading lists, see Managing Reading Lists.
The following global keyboard shortcuts (shortcut keys) are available in Alma:
- General Actions
- F2 – Opens/closes the Alma main menu
- F3 – Opens the Advanced Search page
- Ctrl+Alt+F – Places your cursor in the persistent search box in the top bar:
Persistent Search Box
- Shift+F2 – Opens the Alma home page
- Alt+B - Back
- Alt+N - Next
- Alt+E - Edit
- Alt+S - Save
- Alt+S - Save
- Alt+C - Cancel/Close
- Esc / Alt+C - Cancel/Close (for popups)
- Ctrl+Alt+S - Opens the Scanning interface
- Alt+R - Opens the Returns interface
- Alt+P - Opens the Pick From Shelf interface
- Alt+W - Opens the Patron Workbench
- List Navigation
- Alt+> - Next
- Alt+< - Previous
- Alt+[ - First page
- Alt+] - Last page
- Alt+\ - Find (focus on input box above list)
Additional shortcuts are available on the Patron Services (see Managing Patron Services) and Manage Item Returns (see Returning Items) pages.
For information on the keyboard shortcuts available in the MD Editor, see MD Editor Menu and Toolbar Options.
You can see additional information about certain items by clicking the Info icon on some pages in Alma—for example Transaction Details (Acquisitions > Acquisitions Infrastructure > Funds and Ledgers > Edit Allocated Fund > Transactions Tab > Actions > View), the Electronic Task Details Summary Tab (Resource Management > Manage Electronic Resource Activation > Actions > Edit), or the History tab on the Physical Item Editor page.
When you click the Info icon, a pop-up appears with information about the item on the page: created by, last updated by user/job, and (where applicable) modified by information.
Info Icon Popup
You can display user information by clicking the User Information icon beside a user name on various pages and pop-up windows, such as the User Details page.
Creator Info Icon
Click the icon to display user information:
An administrator can define which user information fields are displayed in this pop-up box. See Configuring User Information for Pop-ups.
If your institution supports multiple languages, Alma translates system-defined UI elements, such as messages and field names into the language selected by the user. You may also want to enable the user to view certain entered information in the user's selected language. See Configuring Institution Languages.
A limited number of fields in Alma support this ability. When multiple languages are enabled, these fields appear with a translate information icon . For example:
Click the icon to open a dialog box that enables you to enter the field's information in the other enabled languages.
Many pages contain too much information to fit on one page, or information that is better grouped together on subpages. These pages contain tabs at the top of the information. On some pages, the name of the page and some information at the top of the page (above the tabs) remains as you navigate between tabs. On other pages, navigating to a new tab may change the page name and remove or replace the top information.
In addition, man pages contains tabs with similar functionality. For more information, see Common Alma Tabs.
When a page contains multiple tabs, a blue icon indicates that the tab has user-configured or system-generated content and a gray icon indicates that the tab does not have content.
Example of Has Indicator Icon
The tabs in the Electronic Collection Editor are sensitive only to the list information that they contain. Although these tabs may contain information in the form sections, the “Has Content” icon still appears as gray.
Many pages in Alma contain tabs with similar functionality.
For pages that include items waiting for attention from an operator, the items are typically divided into three tabs:
- Assigned to Me - These items are assigned to you. This tab provides the most options, typically including the option to unassign the item or assign the item to another operator.
- Unassigned - These items are not assigned to any operator. You may be able to perform most actions on this page, but not as many as you can perform on the Assigned to Me tab. If you have the relevant permissions, this tab also allows you to unassign the item or assign the item to yourself or to another operator.
- Assigned to Others - These items are assigned to another operator. This tab provides the fewest actions to perform. If you have the relevant permissions, this tab allows you to unassign the item or assign the item to yourself or to another operator.
When you click to change the assignment, a dialog box appears. You can enter the target operator, an optional note, and whether to notify the operator by email.
Assign To Dialog Box
The Notes tab enables you to view, add, or remove notes that are relevant to the page. It appears on many Alma pages, such as:
- The PO Line Summary page when editing a PO line
- The Physical Item Editor page when editing item records
- The License Terms Details page when editing license details
- The Vendor Details page when editing vendor information
Add a note using the Quick Add box:
Click Actions > Edit to edit a note:
To delete a note, select Actions > Delete for the note that you want to delete and click Confirm in the Confirmation Message pop-up window.
To locate a note in the list of notes, enter the text for which you want to search in the Find box and select the field—Created by, Modified by, or Note—in which you want to search for the text.
The Attachments tab enables you to view, attach, and remove attachments relevant to the page. It appears on many Alma pages, such as:
- The Trial Details tab when editing trial information
- The Invoice Details page when editing invoices
- The Resource Sharing Borrowing request page when editing a borrowing request.
- To add an attachment, click Browse in the File name field and select a file. Add a URL and/or note, if required, and click Add Attachment. The attachment appears in the list of attachments in the Attachments tab.
- To edit an attachment, select Actions > Edit for the attachment that you want to update, modify the File name, URL, and Notes fields as required, and click Save Attachment.
- To delete an attachment, select Actions > Delete for the attachment that you want to delete and click Confirm in the Confirmation Message pop-up window.
- To download a file, select Actions > Download for the file that you want to download, specify the folder to which you want to save the file, and click OK.
The History tab displays the history of changes to the fields on the page. It appears on many Alma pages, such as:
- The PO Line Summary page when editing a PO line
- The Physical Item Editor page when editing item records
- The License Terms Details page when editing license details
In some instances, the History tab contains radio buttons that allow you to change the types of changes appearing in the list. For example:
History Tab with Radio Buttons
The History tab of the Monitoring Jobs page has a different functionality. For more information, see Viewing Running Jobs.