To configure publishing to PubMed (managed by NLM), you must have one of the following roles:
- Catalog Administrator
- Repository Administrator
- General System Administrator
You can share with PubMed your electronic journal inventory that is relevant to PubMed. By sharing this information, PubMed (managed by NLM) provides a visual indication for the PubMed titles to which the library has full-text access and access to them using the Alma Link Resolver. After creating and scheduling the publishing profile, a Publish Records to PubMed job is scheduled.
You can identify/customize the following details in the PubMed publishing profile:
- Your PubMed ID
- URL that identifies the icon/graphic file that displays in the PubMed search results
- Text for the link label that displays in the PubMed search results
- Primo base URL/Alma Link Resolver base URL for accessing the resource from the PubMed search results.
The XML file generated from Alma includes:
- PubMed ISSNs (or EISSNs) available in the Alma inventory
- Coverage information (from year/month/day until year/month/day) as available
- Embargo/rolling year information as available
For detailed information on setting up the PubMed LinkOut tool for Alma, see this Tech Blog.
To configure a PubMed Publishing Profile:
- On the Publishing Profiles Details page (Resource Management > Resource Configuration > Configuration Menu > Record ExportResources > Publishing > Publishing Profiles), click Actions > Edit in the row actions list for the Publish electronic record to PubMed publishing profile. The Publishing Profile Details page for the PubMed publishing profile appears.
PubMed Publishing Profile Details Page
- Use the following table to complete the publishing profile configuration.
PubMed Publishing Profile Configuration Options Parameter Description Profile Name A unique name for the profile. Profile Description A free text description of the profile. Submission Format section: FTP configuration Select the FTP configuration to use (see Configuring S/FTP Connections). Subdirectory The subdirectory in which the files should be placed for the FTP upload. For example, if you specified Alma in the subdirectory field for the S/FTP connection configuration, and you enter PubMed in this subdirectory field, the data is exported to the Alma/PubMed directory. File name prefix The alphanumeric characters to use as the prefix for the file name that is created. Alma adds a sequence number (starting with 1) and a date suffix in the date/time format of YYYYMMDDhhmm and an extension of .xml.
When there are more than 50,000 records, Alma creates a new file and the sequence number is incremented.
Publishing Parameters section: Status Active or Inactive. Scheduling Select the schedule for the profile to run. Email Notifications Specify which users and email addresses will receive email notifications after the publishing profile runs. PubMed Details section: Provider ID The ID provided to you by PubMed. Location of Alma icon The URL address of an Alma Link Resolver icon (or other icon/graphic file of your choice) in the PubMed search results. The following icon is provided:
This field is optional; an icon is only published only when specified.
Link label The text to identify the link’s title in the PubMed results (such as Link to Alma). Link Resolver Base URL The base URL for the Alma Link Resolver using the following format and inserting your institution’s information where indicated:
http://<primo server host:port>/openurl/<primo institution_code>/<primo view_code>?
If you are unfamiliar with your base URL for the Alma Link Resolver, contact Ex Libris Support for assistance.
- Click Save.
To publish the records manually, run the profile.