As a link resolver, Alma publishes the activation status of electronic holdings (all unsuppressed holdings) to Primo Central in an institutional holdings file, which Primo Central then uses to determine the full text availability of electronic holdings for each institution. To publish electronic holdings to Primo Central, you must configure and run a publishing profile in Alma. For more information regarding the publishing of Alma records to Primo Central, refer to the following presentation:
When working with a Network Zone, the system publishes electronic holdings from the Network Zone and each member institution at the same time and creates the following, respectively:
- One institutional holdings file for each "Available for" group that has been defined in the Network Zone. Each "Available for" group corresponds to each of the member institutions.
- One institutional holdings file from each member institution.
Each week, the system merges the above institutional holdings files into a single institutional holdings file so that it can be harvested by Primo Central.
Configuring the Publishing Profile
To configure publishing to Primo Central, you must have one of the following roles:
- Catalog Administrator
- Repository Administrator
- General System Administrator
The publishing profile allows you to configure the settings used to generate the electronic holdings file that Primo Central uses to update the status indicators. This process should be run weekly to make sure that the holdings information is accurate.
The Electronic Profiles section in the Publish electronic records to Primo Central job allows you to define profiles for groups of libraries and campuses that are defined as inventory management groups in a multicampus configuration. This allows the publishing job to create additional holdings files at the campus/library level so that Primo Central can determine the full-text availability per Alma campus/library (each of which can be defined separately as a Primo institution, or all together as one Primo institution).
For more information about publishing electronic records per campus/library, see the Library-Level Publish to Google Scholar and Primo Central video (4:08 mins).
To configure the publishing profile for Primo Central publishing:
- On the Publishing Profiles Details page (Resource Management > Resource Configuration > Configuration Menu > Record ExportResources > Publishing > Publishing Profiles), click Actions > Edit in the row actions list for the Publish electronic records to Primo Central profile. The Publishing Profile Details page opens.
Publishing Profile Details Page (Standard Configuration)Publishing Profile Details Page (Multicampus Configuration)
- In the Publishing Parameters section, select Active or Inactive and select a scheduling option.
If your institution works with a Network Zone, this export process must be run at the Network Zone the day before it is run at each member institution. This allows updates to the Network Zone inventory to be included in the holdings file for each member institution.
- Click Email Notifications to specify which users and email addresses will receive email notifications when the publishing profile is complete.
- If each group of campuses/libraries in a multicampus configuration is defined as a Primo institution, define a profile for each group of campuses and libraries. Otherwise, continue to the next step:
- Click Add Profile.
The Add Profile dialog box appears.Add Profile Dialog Box
- Enter a name for campus or library in Profile name with no spaces. Optionally add a description.
- Click Add and Close.
- Click Actions > Edit in the row actions list to edit the new profile. The Publishing Profile Details page appears.
Publishing Profile Details Page (Electronic Profile Members)
- In the Add another memberElectronic profile members section, click Add another member to add members to the profile group (select either campuses or libraries, or both).
- Campus – Select a campus and click Add Campus.
- Library – Select a library and click Add Library.
- Click Save to save the changes to the member profile.
- Click Add Profile.
- Click Save to save the changes to the export publishing profile.
Data that meets the defined criteria is exported to the institutional holdings file when the profile is run according to the selected schedule.
The Output of the Publishing Process
The publishing job writes the holdings information to the following file for standard configurations:
For multicampus configurations, the publishing job writes the holdings information to the following file for each group of campuses/libraries:
For more information, see Configuring Primo Central to Use the Institutional Holdings File.
Configuring Primo Central to Use the Institutional Holdings File
In order for Primo Central to update the status indicators for the institutional holdings, it must know where the published holdings file is stored. Although the holdings file should be updated weekly, this configuration needs to be set only once, which may occur while registering your institution with the Primo Central service.
- You can assign only one institutional holdings file per Client UID (or PC Key). If you are already a Primo Central customer and you want to use the PC for Alma, you must register a new client, get a new PC Key, and link the PC Key to the Primo institution that is integrated with Alma. This will also allow you to create an independent environment to test the integration of Alma and Primo Central.
- For multicampus configurations, a Primo institution must be defined for each PC publishing profile in order to register separate holdings files per inventory management group. For more information, see Alma Multicampus Setup in Primo.
To set the URL of the holdings file:
- In the Primo Back Office, click Profile next to the PC Key field in the Institution Wizard (Primo Home > Ongoing Configuration Wizards > Institution Wizard). This button does not appear until you have registered your Primo institution to use Primo Central.
The main menu on the My Profile page opens to update your Primo Central settings.
- Click My Client Applications to display the list of clients associated with your institution.
- Select the client application that was used to register the Primo Central service in Primo.
- Click Edit Client Attributes.
- In the Institutional holdings file URL field, use the following format to enter the URL for the holdings file:
For standard configuration:https://<Alma domain>/rep/getFile?institution_code=<Alma_Institution_Code>&file=institutional_holdingFor multicampus configuration (member_code should be set to the name of the PC publishing profile):https://<Alma domain>/rep/getFile?institution_code=<Alma_Institution_Code>&file=institutional_holding&member_code=<profile_name>