To configure SMS communications, you must have the following role:
- General System Administrator
As part of a library’s processes, Alma produces various notifications for the library’s users. The notifications may be sent to a user by email, or printed. Some of the notifications may also be sent as SMS messages to the user’s mobile phone. Using SMS messages as the notification channel is now quite popular, as this has become an efficient and effective way in which to contact users.
For details on configuring SMS communications, see https://developers.exlibrisgroup.com/alma/integrations/sms
SMS Notifications - Workflow Diagram
SMS communication is enabled for the following notification types:
- Item on Hold Shelf
- Courtesy Letters
- Overdue Notice Letters
- Change Due Date
- Request Cancellation
- Lost Loan
- Lost Loan Notification
- Borrowing Activity
SMS messages are sent to users only if preferred SMS numbers are indicated.
To configure SMS communication with patrons, you must perform the following actions:
- Configure an S/FTP connection to be used by Alma and the SMS service provider (see Configuring S/FTP Connections).
It is also recommended that you test your S/FTP connection by clicking Test FTP. You should receive messages indicating that the FTP upload, download, and delete were successful. If you did not receive such messages, resolve your S/FTP connection issues before continuing.
- Configure an SMS type of integration profile (see below).
- Ensure that the SMS channel of notification is activated (see below).
- Define the format of the notification (see https://developers.exlibrisgroup.com/alma/integrations/sms).
To configure an SMS type of integration profile:
- On the Integration Profile List page (Administration > General Configuration > Configuration Menu > External Systems > Integration Profiles), click Add Integration Profile. The first page of the integration profile wizard opens.
- Perform the following actions on this page:
The name and code are defined for you by the system (both as SMS).SMS Communication Integration Profile Definition – Page 1
- From the Integration type drop-down list, select SMS Communication.
- From the S/FTP connection type drop-down list, select the name of the FTP connection that you previously defined.
- Optionally, enter a description of the integration you are configuring.
- Click Next. The second page of the wizard opens.
- Under Actions:
- Select whether you want the profile to be active. Note that only active profiles can be run.
- In the Sub-directory field, enter a subdirectory of the path specified when creating the S/FTP connection. For example, if you specified Alma in the Sub-directory field during S/FTP connection configuration and you enter SMS in this Sub-directory field, the invoices are exported to the Alma/SMS directory.
SMS Communication Integration Profile Definition – Page 2
- Click Save. The profile you configured appears in the Integration Profile List.
You can create only one SMS Communication integration profile per institution.
To ensure that the SMS channel of notification is activated:
On the Letter Activity mapping table (Administration > General Configuration > Configuration Menu > General Configuration > Letter Activity), ensure that the FulPlaceOnHoldShelfLetter type with the SMS channel is enabled (the check mark to the left of the type is yellow).
FulPlaceOnHoldShelfLetter Type with SMS Channel Enabled
If it is not enabled (the check mark is gray), click the Customize button, click the check mark so that it becomes yellow, and then click Save.
There is also a FulPlaceOnHoldShelfLetter type with the EMAIL channel. This letter type is enabled by default; users who receive hold shelf notification by SMS will also receive notification by email, unless you disable this setting.