To run an import job, see below for the required role.
For more information about record import, see Record Import. For information about import profile types, see Import Profile Types.
You can import bibliographic or authority records in bulk by running a job using an import profile. You can also import a single record to synchronize bibliographic records with external catalogs; see Importing a Single Record. You can monitor the job as it runs and view information about the job after it finishes. See Monitor and View Import Jobs.
Importing an Embedded Order Data (EOD) file (records that also contain purchasing and inventory information) can be the first step in the Purchasing Workflow and are part of the patron-driven acquisitions (PDA) process; see Patron Driven Acquisitions. PO lines created using an EOD are subject to purchasing review rules; see Configuring Purchasing Review Rules.
For details on importing records from several vendors in one input file, see the Multiple Vendors in EOD Import Profile video (8:56 mins).For a use case workflow example of importing and overlaying a brief record with a full record that has an order, see Use-Case: Overlaying Records with an Order Using Import.
Before beginning the import job, check the following:
- If none of the existing profiles is suitable for your bibliographic, authority, or EOD file, create a new profile or copy an existing profile and modify it (see Managing Import Profiles).
- Ensure that you have the correct Submission Format option selected (see Import Profile Details Wizard - Page 2 Fields), and that your bibliographic, authority, or EOD import file is located in the correct place for this option. For example, if you select the Upload File option, your import file must be located on your computer. If you select Server Directory, the import file must be located on a server on your network.
You can import records (run an import profile) on the Import Profiles page, which can be reached in any of the following ways:
|Acquisitions > Import > Import||New Import (embedded order data (EOD)), Update Inventory||Purchasing Operator/Manager|
|Resource Management > Import > Import||Repository, Authority, Initial Authority, Digital||Catalog Manager/Administrator, Repository Administrator|
Resource Management > Resource Configuration > Configuration Menu > Record Import > Import Profiles
Acquisitions > Acquisitions Configuration > Configuration Menu > Purchase Orders > Import Profiles
Select Actions > Run Import in an import profile line to run the profile.
Importing Multiple Records
To import a file with multiple records:
- On an Import Profiles page, select Actions > Run Import. The Start New Import page appears.
Start New Import Page
- If Upload File/s is selected as the File Upload Method in the import profile, locate and select the bibliographic, authority, or EOD file you want to import.
The selected file appears in the File field.
- It is suggested that you limit your file size to a maximum of 10MB. For files imported using the FTP File Upload Method, this limitation does not apply.
- The import process accepts ZIP files, MRC files, or XML files, but not tar.gz files.
- To use a label for the file to help identify the contents, enter a label in the Label field.
- Enter any notes for the import in the Notes field.
- Click Add.
The page reloads with the selected file listed in the Files List section at the bottom of the page.Start New Import - File AddedGeneral information about the file, including the size of the file, appears in this section. An Actions menu provides options for editing the Notes field or removing the file.
- Add any additional import files by repeating step 2 through step 5.
- Click Submit. The Monitor and View Imports page appears, showing a message indicating the import job status. For details on monitoring import jobs, see Monitor and View Import Jobs.
Monitor and View Imports Page - EOD File Loaded Successfully
- Click Refresh to update the page details.
When the import finished, the status changes.Additional Status classifications are Pending, In Process, and Completed Successfully.Monitor and View Imports Page - EOD File Import Status Refreshed
- To view reports on the status of successful imports, select Actions and select one of the four types of information.
- For the status Manual Handling Required, click the Manual Handling Required link to access the page where you can resolve issues with the file.
- Click Back to return to the Alma home page.
Importing a Single Record
Importing a single file uses a Repository import profile that must already be defined; see Managing Import Profiles. The parameter upload_single_record_from_file must contain the name of this import profile; see Configuring Other Settings.
This functionality imports a bibliographic record only – not inventory records (such as holdings), even if the import profile is configured to import inventory records.
To import a single bibliographic record:
- Select Resource Management > Import > Upload single record from file. The following appears:
Start New Import
- Select the file with the bibliographic record that you want to import.
- Click Submit and Edit to open the imported record in the MD Editor. For example:
Submit and Edit
- Click Edit to display the record in the repository. For example:
Use-Case: Overlaying a Brief Record that has an Order
This example assumes that you are starting with a brief bibliographic record that has an order, and subsequently you receive a full bibliographic record that you want to import and overlay the brief record.
- Start with the brief bibliographic record. In the example illustration below, the record with ISBN 9780385353670 contains only the LDR, 001, 005, 008, 010, 020, 100, and 245 fields.
Brief Record Example
- The record has an order.
Brief Record’s Order
- Subsequently, you receive the full MARC 21 bibliographic record that includes the same ISBN as the existing brief record.
Full MARC 21 Bibliographic Record
- Run an import job using the import profile that you created for the purpose of overlaying records automatically when there is a match on ISBN.
Import Profile for Overlay
- Check for successful completion of the job.
Import Job Successfully CompletedMonitor Jobs Report Confirming Match
- Open the new record in the MD Editor to view the changes after the import. The 245$b, for example, was updated; and there are more fields now than the original LDR, 001, 005, 008, 010, 020, 100, and 245 fields that were in the brief record.
Updated Record (Partial View)