- Researcher Manager
Your institution's affiliated researchers must first be registered as Alma users. Esploro stores information about an affiliated researcher as an extension to the user's Alma user record. For more information about Alma users, see Managing Users in the Alma documentation.
Ex Libris helps you upload your first set of affiliated researchers, and helps you to configure Esploro to keep your users up to date using the Users integration profile. For more information about this profile, see Student Information System in the Alma documentation. You can also manage researchers manually, as described below.
You can add non-affiliated researchers when you are adding or editing an asset. Esploro also adds non-affiliated researchers when uploading assets to your institution during migration.
You manage researchers on the Find and Manage Researchers page (Research > Researchers > Manage Researchers). You can manually add, edit, and delete researchers on this page. To find researchers using the persistent search, see Searching in Esploro.
Use the persistent search, as well as the Affiliated/Non-affiliated tabs, filters, and Affiliation secondary search to filter the list of researchers.
- Ensure that the researcher already has an Alma user. See Managing Users in the Alma documentation.
- On the Find and Manage Researchers page, select Add Researcher and enter or select the Alma user associated with the researcher in the dialog box. Note that you cannot add a non-affiliated researcher on this page, only when adding or editing an asset.
- Select Add Researcher. The Researcher Details page appears. The Researcher Profile tab on this page is pre-selected. Most of the user information in the User Information area is copied from the Alma user record (see Adding Users and Editing Users in the Alma documentation).
- Enter the following additional information:
Researcher Profile Fields Field Description Values User Information Name Suffix The user's name suffix, if any. Position Researcher position at the institution. To configure this list, see Configuring Researcher Positions. Select a value from the drop-down list. Researcher Type Whether this user is affiliated or nonaffiliated, or a proxy for another user. Read-only:
- Affiliated Researcher
- Non-affiliated Researcher
- Research Proxy
Default Publication Language This value is used to pre-fill the Language field when the researcher submits a deposit or when an administrator submits a despot on the researcher's behalf. Your administrator can set the default value for this field for all new users; see Configuring Default Researcher Settings. If a global default is not set, the default is taken from the Preferred language field. Researcher Notifications Opt the user into or out of researcher notifications. Select or clear the check boxes next to each notification that you want to enable or disable for the user. Your administrator can set the default values for these fields for all new users; see Configuring Default Researcher Settings.
For more information, see Configuring Library Notices Opt-In in the Alma documentation.
The researcher letters you can enable or disable for this researcher include:
- Mediated Deposit Approved
- Researcher Deposit Approved
- Researcher Deposit Returned
Current/Previous Organization Affiliations – Select one or more current or previous research organization units with which the researcher is affiliated, the date started, and the relevant position. To configure these, see Configuring Research Organization Units. External/Previous External Organization Affiliations – Select one or more current or previous external research organizations with which the researcher is affiliated, the date started, and the relevant position. To configure these, see Configuring External Research Organizations. Research Topics and Keywords Research topics Select one or more predefined research topics to associate with the researcher. Keywords If any of your topics is not predefined (Research topics), enter a comma-separated list of topics here. Area of Interest – Enter one or more areas of interest. Name variants – Enter one or more variants of the researcher's name (first, middle and/or last). Name variants are included when searching by name. Researcher Website URLs – Enter one or more websites associated with the researcher. For each website, select the type: CV, home page, publication page, unknown. New for June! You can also add an optional title and description. Education – Enter one or more rows related to the researcher's education, including external research organization, degree, graduation year, and field of study. Associations – Enter one or more rows indicating other associations with external research organizations. Honors – Enter one or more rows related to the researcher's honors, including title, external research organization, and time period. Languages Language Enter a comma-separated list of the researcher's languages.
- On the Contact Information tab, enter addresses, phone numbers, or email addresses for the researcher. Initial information on this tab is copied from the Alma user record.
- On the Identifiers tab, enter additional identifiers for the researcher. Initial information on this tab is copied from the Alma user record. For each identifier, select the type (from a list predefined in Alma), enter a value, and add an optional note. To configure user identifiers in Alma, see Managing User Identifiers in the Alma documentation. User identifiers that are highly relevant for researchers include ORCID, ISNI, Scopus ID, ResearchID, arXiv ID, eRA ID, Pubmed author ID, and Pivot ID.
- On the Attachments tab, you can add attachments related to the researcher or see emails related to Esploro that were sent to this researcher. New for June! In addition, profile images that the researcher added to his or her profile appear on this tab. Deleting a profile image from this tab does not delete the image; it only removes it from this tab. See Attachments Tab in the Alma documentation.
- On the Proxy For tab, enter other researchers for which this user can submit assets on their behalf. Note: This feature is not yet developed.
- On the Audit tab, you can view a record of changes made to this researcher's information.
- When you are done, select Save to save your changes.
To edit a researcher, select Edit in the row actions list.
To delete a researcher, select Delete in the row actions list. Note that you cannot delete a researcher associated with an asset or grant.