Primo maps information from the source records to the Search section in the PNX to allow this information to be indexed by the search engine. The local search fields (lsr01 - lsr39) allow you to specify additional information to be indexed and then searched by users in the Front End. Once a field is made searchable, you have the option to display it in the advanced and basic search drop-down lists so that users can search it specifically.
Searchable Field Drop-Down List for Basic Search
The following figure illustrates the general flow used to create searchable fields:
General Creation Process for Searchable Fields
For more information, see the How to Add a New Search Field video.
To add a searchable field:
- Add a normalization rule that maps the call number (which is defined in MARC 949 subfield d for this example) from the source records to an unused local search field lsr07 in the Search section of the PNX:
- Edit your normalization rules set on on the Normalization Rules Set page (Primo Home > Advanced Configuration > Full Normalization Rule Configuration). For more information on using the normalization rules editors,see Editing Normalization Rules Sets.The Manage Normalization Rules page opens.
- From the PNX Section drop-down list, select Search and display all unused fields.
- Add the following rule to map the call number in the source record to the lsr07 field in the Search section:Normalization Rule for New Searchable Field
- Save your changes to the normalization rules.
- On the Deploy All page (Primo Home > Deploy All), select the Normalization Rules option and then click Deploy:
- Execute a no-harvest pipe to update the PNX records.You must schedule the indexing_and_hotswapping process to run after the pipe completes so that the indexes are updated in the search engine.
- If you plan on adding the new field to the the searchable field drop-down lists in the Front End, update the necessary code tables. For more information on using code tables, see Code Tables.
- In the Advanced Index Fields code table (Primo Home > Advanced Configuration > All Code Tables), update the following row to modify the label used for the advanced search:Advanced Search Drop-Down LabelBecause the classic and new Primo UIs use different codes for the label, make sure that you update the correct code. For the new UI, the codes contain nui.
- In the Basic Index Fields code table (Primo Home > Advanced Configuration > All Code Tables), update the following row to modify the label used for the basic search.Basic Search Drop-Down List
- On the Deploy All page (Primo Home > Deploy All), select the All Code Tables and Mapping Tables (Front End labels and more) option and then click Deploy:
- After the pipe has finished executing successfully and the indexing_and_hotswapping process has completed, configure your view if you want to add the new field to the searchable field drop-down lists in the Front End. For more information on using the Views Wizard, see Views Wizard.
- In the Views Wizard (Primo Home > Ongoing Configuration Wizards > Views Wizard), edit your view.
- Click through the wizard until you reach the Tiles Configuration page, and then edit the Home Page > Advanced Search tile.
- On the Edit Advanced Search Attributes page, edit the Complex Search Line under the Define search pre-filters section.
- On the Edit Advanced Search Attributes page, select Call Number from the Search Field Value drop-down list under the Search Target Fields of Advanced Search tile section and then click Create.Add New Field to Advanced Search Drop-Down List
- Return to the Tiles Configuration page, and then edit the Home Page > Basic Search tile.
- On the Edit Basic Search Attributes page, select Call Number from the Search Field Value drop-down list under the Search operators section and then click Create.Add New Field to Basic Search Drop-Down List
- Save and deploy the changes.The following example shows the new field in the drop-down list for the basic search.New Field Added to Basic Search Drop-Down List