- Article Type: Q&A
- Product: Primo
- Product Version: 4
Trying to test the EBSCO API using known items that are loaded into the catalog or SFX. When searching just the EBSCO API in Primo, can't find the items. What are some search tips for the EBSCO API?
* EBSCO built the API so EBSCO search logic applies rather than Primo.
* Tip 1: EBSCO interprets multiple words as a phrase while Primo inserts AND between terms.
Search: Shakespeare Hamlet
becomes 'shakespeare hamlet' in EBSCO reducing the likelihood of finding results.
* Tip 2: EBSCO uses single quote rather than double quote marks. Primo can use either.
* Tip 3: EBSCO and Primo can both use Boolean connectors AND, OR, NOT. These must be in all caps.
* Tip 4: Using Primo Advanced Search and training patrons to put single terms or phrases in each line will increase results in EBSCO API searches.
* Summary: Likelihood of success is increased by using Advanced Search or using single quotes for phrases and inserting UPPER CASE Boolean connectors (AND, OR, NOT) between search terms.
Category: Front End - Primo
Subject: Remote Search - Primo
- Article last edited: 8/15/2014