- Article Type: Q&A
- Product: Primo
- Product Version: 4
Trying to test the EBSCO search plug-in using known items that are loaded into the catalog or SFX. When searching just the EBSCO search plug-in in Primo, cannot find the items. What are some search tips for the EBSCO search plug-in?
* EBSCO built the API so EBSCO search logic applies rather than Primo.
* Tip 1: EBSCO interprets multiple words as a phrase while Primo inserts AND Boolean operators between terms.
Search: Shakespeare Hamlet
becomes 'shakespeare hamlet' in EBSCO reducing the likelihood of finding results.
* Tip 2: EBSCO uses single quotes rather than double quote marks. Primo can use either.
* Tip 3: EBSCO and Primo can both use Boolean connectors AND, OR, NOT. These must be all capital letters.
* Tip 4: Using Primo Advanced Search and training patrons to put single terms or phrases in each line will increase results in EBSCO API searches.
* Summary: Likelihood of success is increased by using Advanced Search or using single quotes for phrases and inserting UPPER CASE Boolean connectors (AND, OR, NOT) between search terms.
Category: Front End - Primo
Subject: Remote Search - Primo
- Article last edited: 8/15/2014