You can create a bibliography from a list of references, without creating a document.
Formatting a Bibliography from a List of References
There are several ways to create a simple Reference List:
You can select a group of references and easily create a formatted reference list in HTML, which you can copy and paste into any document. Before you begin, make sure the output style you need is listed in your Favorites list.
Select the references you want to use and right-click on the selection option (Selected, Page or All in List) and choose Create Bibliography. To select a folder of references, click the folder name on the Quick Access bar.
You can also create a reference list from the menu options.
- From the menu, select Bibliography, then select Create Bibliography.
- Under Select an Output Style, select the style you wish to use.
- Under Reference to Include, choose Selected, Page or All in List.(Tip: make sure you are already viewing the references you wish to use, either from search results, a folder view or All references view).
- Under Select a File Type, select the file format you wish to create (Text, HTML, RTF (Rich Text), Word for< Windows (2000 or later), or Word for Mac (98 or later) or Open Office (.odt).
- Click Create Bibliography.
- Follow your browser's instructions for viewing the file and be sure to it on your computer before closing.
Email it: After the bibliography is created you may also email the list. The email address in your RefWorks account is automatically entered, but you can overwrite it with another address. Only one email address can be entered.
Creating a Reference List Using the Print Option
The Print option allows you to create a reference list without having them in the same folder. You can preview your list of references or copy and paste them into a document.
To create a reference list from search results or from a View:
- Locate your references to print (by Searching within RefWorks or selecting View, All References).
- Determine the sort order for your list from the Sort By drop-down.
- Select the specific reference(s) by clicking on the check box to the left of the Ref ID. You can also select Page or All in List. Note: If you select individual references to print, they must all be on the same page. This is why you must determine your sort order first. RefWorks displays 25 records per page, so if you need more than 25 selected references to print, increase the number displayed per page in the Customize area.
- Once you have identified the records to print and your sort order, click on the Print icon or drag the references to the Print References link on the Quick Access bar.
- Select the appropriate Output Style and click the Print References button.
- Follow your browser's instructions for viewing the file and be sure to save it on your computer before closing.