Exporting References from Legacy RefWorks
There are several ways you can export references out of your RefWorks account:
- From the menu toolbar
- From email
From the Menu toolbar:
To export a copy of all or part of your database to your computer:
- From the References menu select Export. Choose Selected, Page or All in List.
- Under Select an Export Format select a format:
- Bibliographic Software (EndNote, Reference Manager, ProCite)- Saves the database in a tagged format that can be imported into another bibliographic management program. It is sometimes called RIS Format or Reference Manager Format and can be imported into Reference Manager, ProCite, EndNote, or any other program that supports the RIS Format.
- BibTeX – Ref ID - Saves the database in the file format for use with the LaTeX document preparation system.
- Citation List - Creates a list to use when writing your paper offline. The format includes the RefID, Authors Primary, Title Primary, and Publication Year only.
- RefWorks Tagged Format - Saves the database in a format similar to the bibliographic management software format. This is a tagged format. The data layout, however, is patterned after the RefWorks database as opposed to tags that match with other bibliographic programs. Use this format for backup purposes and for sharing data with other RefWorks users.
- RefWorks XML Format - Saves the data in an XML version of the RefWorks Tagged Format.
- Tab Delimited - Saves all your data in an organized manner with each field separated by a tab. It may then be loaded into other programs that are designed to read this type of format.
- Click the Export References button. The references are displayed.
- Copy, paste, and save the references into a Word document or Notepad.
- Follow your browser's instructions for viewing the file and be sure to save the file on your computer before closing.
After the bibliography is created, you can email the file. Your RefWorks account email address is automatically entered, but you can overwrite it with another address. Only one email address can be entered.
Exporting a Group of References from the Selection Options
You can also export directly from the reference view you are in (all references, a folder, my list, search results, etc.)
- Select the references you want to export, right click the selection option (Selected, Page or All in List), and select Export and, select the export format. To export all of the references in a specific folder, click the folder name from the Quick Access Bar first, then choose All in List.
Drag and Drop References to the Quick Access Bar
You can easily drag a reference or drag a Selection Option to the Export area on the Quick Access Bar.
- Select the references you want to export (click on the grey bar for a single reference). Drag the selection option or reference to Export on the Quick Access Bar. The export formats are displayed.
- Drag the selection option to the desired format. A new window is displayed with the exported results.
- Copy, paste, and save the results into a Word document or Notepad.