There are several ways to view your references and a variety of functions may be performed from each view. To learn more about the functions that can be performed from each view, see Managing References.
When viewing lists of references, from the Change View drop-down you can choose how you would like them displayed:
- Standard View (default): Includes author, title and source.
- One Line/Cite View (used to insert citation placeholders in a document you are writing): Has a Link Resolver icon , a Cite icon and a View icon along with Author, Year and Title.
- Full View: Shows all fields of information.
- Output Style views (display a preview of the references in the potential output style): You can choose up to 3 output styles for references viewings. To determine which output styles you would like to preview, click the Customize link at the top and make your selections.
In the Standard and Full views you can see in which folder(s) each reference is located. Clicking on the hyper-linked folder name will display all the references stored in that folder. You can modify where the reference is stored by clicking on the edit link.
By default, 25 references are displayed per page. You can change the number of records displayed by clicking the Customize link at the top. Replace the current References Per Page number and click Save. You can choose to display up to 100 records per page (or up to 500 records per page with One Line/Cite View), however, the more records per page , the longer it can take to load, particularly in Full View.
View All References
To see all references in your account, from the View menu select All References.
The references appear in the main viewing area. Each reference will have a variety of icons displayed in the Action Bar. Depending on the selected view and individual reference options, you may see the following icons:
View - displays the full reference (only fields with information will display)
Cite - displays the Citation Viewer used by One Line/Cite View to insert temporary citation placeholders into a document.
Edit - allows you to edit the existing reference information.
Add to My List - allows you to place the selected reference in the My List temporary folder.
Attachments - indicates files are attached to the reference. When you hover over the attachment icon, the file name(s) appear. Clicking on a specific file name will launch the file (provided you have the appropriate software to view the file on your computer). For information on viewing attachments in references, click here.
Comments - displays comments made by others who access your shared references.
Add Comment - allows you to add a comment to a shared reference.
In addition to the individual reference action bar, below the standard information (Title, Author, Source) you will see:
Folders - if the reference is stored in a folder(s) you will see the folder name(s) listed. You can click on a folder name to access all the references in that folder. To hide folder information click the Customize link at the top. You can also click on the folder name from the Quick Access Bar on the right to display all references in the folder.
Link Resolver - if your organization uses a link resolver, you will see either its name or a logo. Clicking it may provide you with access to the full text of an article or identify if that reference is available locally at your organization. This option must be established by your local RefWorks Administrator in the RefWorks Administrator Tool. In the One Line/Cite View or custom views, you will see a Link Resolver icon . If you hover over that icon, you can then click on your organization's Open URL link or icon.
View an Individual Reference
You can view a reference by clicking on the View icon from the list of references. When viewing a reference you will see only the fields that have information in them At the bottom of the reference you will see any comments posted by others with whom you share the reference.
There are several tasks you can perform while viewing a reference:
- Add or remove the reference to/from a folder(s) - Simply select the folder to add or remove the reference to/from in the drop-down. Folders that contain the reference are highlighted in grey in the drop-down.
- View, edit or remove comments posted to shared references (located just below the reference fields) - click on the edit comment or remove comment link for any posted comments or scroll to the bottom of the page to add a new comment.
- Edit the reference - click the Edit button at the bottom of the page.
- Duplicate the reference - click the Duplicate button to make an exact copy of the reference.
- Delete the reference - remove the reference completely by clicking the Delete button.
View by Folder
To view references in a specific folder, click on the folder or sub-folder name from the Folders area of the Quick Access bar, or if your account is set to display folders names in the reference view, click on the hyper-linked folder name. To learn about creating and organizing folders, see Organizing Folders.
You can designate a specific folder of references to display when you log in to RefWorks. Click the Customize link at the top, select the folder from the View Folder drop-down in the Startup Options area. You can specify a default sort order as well.
Search Results View
Sorting References in a View
When viewing references in a folder, from search results or viewing all references, you can change the reference order of what using the Sort by drop-down.
Options for sorting are:
- Authors, Primary
- Pub Year, Ascending
- Pub Year, Descending
- Ref ID
- Ref Type
- Title, Primary
- Periodical, Full
- Periodical, Abbreviated
- Last Modified
You can specify a default sort order from the list above, by clicking the Customize link at the top and going to the Startup Options section.