- Product: New RefWorks
How-To Instructions for setting up your Single sign-on (Shibboleth/Open Athens)
RefWorks supports Shibboleth and Open Athens which allows end users to use their institutional credentials to sign-into the new RefWorks (for institutions that support those mechanisms).
There are two ways to set up your single sign-on:
- The end user already has an account
- Setting up a new account using my Shibboleth single sign-on
This document will take you through the step by step process for both options.
A) I already have a new RefWorks account and want to use my Shibboleth credentials
- You must be associated with an institution
- Shibboleth has been turned on by your institution
- I want to link my existing RefWorks account with those credentials.
- Use the menu at the upper right to go to the Settings page.
- Scroll down on the Settings page. If your institution offers Shibboleth single-sign on, there will be a Shibboleth section in your RefWorks settings. (Note: if the user’s institution does not offer Shibboleth and/or we don’t have it in our system that it does, the Shibboleth section will not appear for them in their Settings page.)
- Under Shibboleth settings, click the “Associate account” button. You will be automatically redirected to your institution’s single sign-on page.
- On your institution’s single sign-on page, enter your university credentials into the username and password fields. Click the login or submit button. (Note: this is their university credentials, not the credentials for their RefWorks account)
- After authenticating with your institution, you will be redirected back to your RefWorks library. (notice the green confirmation message at the top of the screen)
- Once you have created this association, you can then log into your RefWorks account by simply selecting your institution from the Athens/Shibboleth dropdown list on the RefWorks sign-in page.
Selecting your institution will take you to your institution’s single-sign on page; log in with your institutional credentials, and you will be automatically logged into RefWorks. (If you are already logged in, it might forward you automatically to your RefWorks account without needing to authenticate again.)
Remove Shibboleth Affiliation
After your account is associated with your institution’s single sign-on, you may break that association by going back to your Settings page and clicking the “Remove Shibboleth Affiliation” button. If you never created a password for your RefWorks account, you will be prompted to provide a password at this time. You must provide a password before you can successfully break Shibboleth association.
B) Setting up a new account using my Shibboleth single sign on
- Get started https://refworks.proquest.com/
- Type in your email address
- Click the Check box
- After you enter your email address and click the “Check” button, you then only need to select your institution from the dropdown menu. (If you did enter a password in the box, it will not get saved.)
- Use the dropdown menu to create your account as a Shibboleth-authenticating account. If you enter a password and select the “Sign up” button, your account will be created as if you don’t have an institutional single sign-on.
If you accidentally create your account without going through the “Use login from my institution” selection, simply associate your account with an institution using the procedure described at the beginning of this article.
The username and password entered at the institutional sign-in screen must be the username and password for the user’s institution. This may be different from your RefWorks username and password.
Remove Shibboleth Affiliation
After your account is associated with your institution’s single sign-on, you may break that association by going back to your Settings page and clicking the “Remove Shibboleth Affiliation” button. If you never created a password for your RefWorks account, you will be prompted to provide a password at this time. You must provide a password before you can successfully break shibboleth association.
To answer any questions or issues contact RefWorks at the ExLibris support center: https://exlidp.exlibrisgroup.com/ or send an email to RefWorks Support