Skip to main content
ExLibris
  • Subscribe by RSS
  • Ex Libris Knowledge Center

    'System is overloaded" message, but active users not exceeding MAX-WEB-USERS

    • Article Type: General
    • Product: Aleph
    • Product Version: 15.2

    Description:
    We are sporadically getting the message "System is overloaded" when trying to access our Web OPAC

    Just to add some experiences we're having - I tried again, accessed the WOPAC with no problem, using both IE and Firefox. When I refreshed the page once, I got the catalog again, but when I refreshed the page again, I got the System Overloaded message. I repeated these steps several times - one refresh I got the catalog but on the second refresh I got the message. Our webmaster thinks it's related to a licensing issue, but why would this arise now? We've been using Aleph for 2 years and as far as I know, our licensing hasn't changed recently.

    Our license MAX-WEB-USERS is 030.

    Resolution:
    You suggest that there are times where you get the "System is overloaded message" but the Active user count is less than 30. I believe that this can not happen and that when this message appears the number of active z63's is always at the limit.

    The following SQL shows that there are 461,982 Z63 Session records:

    SQL-VIR01> select count(*) from z63;
    **** Hit return to continue ****

    COUNT(*)
    ----------
    461982

    This is a big number. It indicates that you are probably not running util a/11 (or clear_vir01) on any regular basis. You should be. But that is probably not connected to this problem.


    The results of this query shows the most numerous ip-addresses:

    SQL-VIR01> select Z63_CLIENT_ADDRESS, count(*) from z63 group by Z63_CLIENT_ADDRESS having count(*) > 1000;

    Z63_CLIENT_ADDRESS COUNT(*)
    -------------------- ----------
    65.55.208.143 /ms 1247
    65.55.208.144 /ms 1368
    65.55.208.145 /ms 1530
    65.55.208.146 /ms 1673
    65.55.208.147 /ms 1355
    65.55.208.148 /ms 2134
    65.55.208.149 /ms 2974
    65.55.208.154 /ms 2440
    66.249.70.219 IMo 6046
    66.249.72.203 IMo 13471 <---
    66.249.72.8 IMozi 10785
    66.249.73.104 IMo 5297
    66.249.73.165 IMo 4958
    66.249.73.242 IMo 2889
    66.249.73.38 IMoz 7727

    Following the procedure described in KB 8192-483, I did "tracert 66.249.72.203". This shows that 66.249.72.203 is: "crawl.66.249.72.203.googlebot.com"

    You need to do the anti-spider stuff under #5 at the end of KB 8192-481.


    • Article last edited: 10/8/2013