- Article Type: General
- Product: Aleph
- Product Version: 20
Desired Outcome Goal:
Locate Aleph bib records with 008/15-17 (Place of publication) = wb , and change them to 008/15-17 = gw .
Use a combination of SQL and Aleph services. (This requires access to SQL on the server, and a Z00R table built for the BIB library.)
1) create a file of BIB numbers in alephe/scratch containing 'wb ' as Place of publication;
2) use the print-03 ("Download Machine-Readable Records") to extract the 008 fields from these records;
3) do a find/replace on the output file from print-03, replacing 'wb^' with 'gw^' ;
4) load this file back into Aleph using manage-18 ("Load ALEPH Sequential MARC Records"), using the options:
-Update current records in the database
-Replace fields within a record
See Additional Information (below) for detailed info on each step.
Detailed information for each step:
1) Use the following SQL to create a file of BIB numbers to be used as input to print-03:
SET PAUSE OFF
SET PAGESIZE 0
SET FEEDBACK OFF
SELECT /*+ DYNAMIC_SAMPLING(2) ALL_ROWS */ Z00R_DOC_NUMBER||'xxx01'
WHERE Z00R_FIELD_CODE LIKE '008%'
AND SUBSTR(Z00R_TEXT,16,3) = 'wb^';
Note - Replace 'xxx01' with local bib library code. If an Aleph version different than 20 is being used, the 'u20_1' in the SPOOL line will need to be adjusted.
A file (called 008fix or 008fix.lst) will be placed in alephe/scratch that can then be used to extract all the 008 fields that need to be fixed.
2) Run print-03 to retrieve the 008 fields (008## as the Field 1+indicator). Use ALEPH Sequential as the Format.
3) Take the Output file from print-03 and do a find/replace on 'wb^' with 'gw^'. Save the changes. When doing the find/replace, make sure that there are no other 'wb^' character strings apart from those in positions 15-17 that get updated. This might be easy or difficult depending on how many records are to be updated.
4) Use manage-18 to reload just these updated 008 fields back into Aleph. Do just a couple records the first time to make sure it works OK. Use the following values in manage-18:
Input file - 008fix.lst
Procedure - Update current records in the database
If updating current records -
Replace fields within a record
Indexing - Full
Fix routine - None
Merge routine - None
Category: Cataloging (500)
- Article last edited: 7/30/2014