- Article Type: General
- Product: Aleph
- Product Version: 20
- Relevant for Installation Type: Dedicated-Direct; Direct; Local; Total Care
Is there any information on how to convert Catalog-records-columnar.xsl to a plain- text file or to manipulate the data output to be able to read the file into a spreadsheet application?
Please note that the following functionality is not supported within the ALEPH500 software itself.
Here is a tip for exporting records from XML into a spreadsheet:
1) You must be running Microsoft Office 2003, Microsoft Excel 2003, or later versions on your workstation. Excel 2003 contains an automatic XML parser.
2) In ALEPH, generate the xml report of your choice.
3) Using the Task Manager, retrieve the report to your workstation
4) In Task Manager, in the lower pane of the File List tab, in the Print Configuration box BE SURE YOU HAVE SELECTED "Browse XML" (not Print or Print Preview).
5) Select your report and click the "Print" button.
6) Task Manager will open a new window with the report displayed as XML tags
7) Right click in this "preview" window and you should see an option to "Export to Microsoft Excel". This menu option appears automatically if you have Excel 2003 installed on the workstation.
8) Click on the "Export to Microsoft Excel" option after you have right clicked in the browser window with your report
9) You will be given several options within Excel as it imports the report. Select the defaults presented.
10) Your report data will be parsed into separate rows and columns in the Excel spreadsheet. You will likely have to do some cleanup to remove extraneous columns that are part of the XML file but aren't needed in the spreadsheet.
Article How to put SQL output into a spreadsheet is a similar article for SQL output.
- Article last edited: 10/8/2013