The objectives of the SFX to Alma migration process are to migrate SFX data to the Alma environment quickly and efficiently, eliminate any coordination and scheduling issues with Ex Libris, and enable the independent extraction of data.
The functioning of SFX is not affected by this process running in the background, and your normal work in SFX can proceed in parallel while it is running. However, we recommend running it during non-peak hours for best performance.
This document explains how to download and install the SFX to Alma Migration Package, perform the extraction SFX data, and transfer it securely to Ex Libris’ FTP server.
If you have any questions, contact Ex Libris.
- Standard migration requirements documented in Getting Ready for Alma and Discovery Implementation.
- SFX needs to be on v4.12 or above to migrate to Alma.
- Open an access in your firewall to the Ex Libris SFTP server in order to transfer the extracted data:
- APAC customers: sftp-apac.hosted.exlibrisgroup.com
- EU customers: sftp-eu.hosted.exlibrisgroup.com
- NA customers: sftp-na.hosted.exlibrisgroup.com
- CANADA customers: sftp-ca.hosted.exlibrisgroup.com
- CHINA customers: sftp-cn.hosted.exlibrisgroup.com
Verify that you have at least 2 GB of free disk space.
Overview of the AutoExtract Process
The following steps describe the SFX AutoExtract process:
- An email with the following information is sent to you by Ex Libris:
- A link to the AutoExtract package path on FTP server
- Credentials for FTP download
- Download the AutoExtract package from the FTP server.
- Install the AutoExtract package on your SFX server.
- Run the extraction of your SFX data using the AutoExtract package.
- Transfer the extracted data to your regional Ex Libris FTP server.
These steps are described in detail below.
Downloading and Installing the AutoExtract Package
The following section describes how to download and install the AutoExtract package.
To download and install the AutoExtract package:
- Log on to your local SFX instance on your SFX server (for example, sfxlcl41, or other local instance).
- Enter the following command to create a directory in which to store the zip file:
>> mkdir /exlibris/ftp_from_exlibris/sfx2alma_migrationYou may need to create the ftp_from_exlibris subdirectory first, i.e.:>> mkdir /exlibris/ftp_from_exlibris
- Download the package from Ex Libris FTP server ftp.exlibrisgroup.com via FTP as described in the email sent from Ex Libris.
- Enter the following command to change the directory as the local user to the sx directory:
>> sx(Or: >> cd $SFX_HOME/$SFX_INST/)
- Move the package SFX2Alma.zip from /exlibris/ftp_from_exlibris/sfx2alma_migration to the sx directory of the local SFX user.
>> cp /exlibris/ftp_from_exlibris/sfx2alma_migration/SFX2Alma.zip .
- Enter the following command to unpack the zip file:
>> unzip SFX2Alma.zip
This unpacks the AutoExtract package and puts its constituents into their designated places in the SFX installation.
- If you want to run the auto extract process several times (for test and for productive load for example, check if there is a new version of the package available. If so, proceed with the new package as described above.
- If you get the message when running the unzip command, answer with A to replace the files from the old package with the ones from the new package.
replace admin/kbtools/sfx2alma_migration.pl? [y]es, [n]o, [A]ll, [N]one, [r]ename:
Running the Menu
The steps of the AutoExtract package are driven by a menu.
To run the menu:
- Log on to your local SFX instance on your SFX server.
- Enter the following command to move to the directory with the migration menu:
>> da(or:>> cd $SFX_HOME/$SFX_INST/admin/)>> cd kbtools
- Enter the following command to start the menu:
The menu is displayed:
SFX Migration Menu
SFX base directory : /exlibris/sfx_ver/sfx4_1
SFX Instance code : sfxlcl41
1. Extract SFX data
2. Transfer extracted data
Please select :
Extracting and Converting the Data
To extract your SFX data and convert it into an Alma supported format:
- Select 1. Extract SFX data to retrieve the data from the SFX database.
If you ran the extraction before and data is still in the export directory, the following message is displayed:There appears to be data from a previous extraction in the directory.If you continue, this old data will be deleted.Do you want to continue? (y/n): [n]
- Answer y to delete the data and continue with the extraction process. Answer n, to stop the extraction process and move the old data to a different location, if you do not want to delete it.
When running the above option within a multi-organizational (institutes/campuses) environment, a menu similar to the one below is displayed that allows you to specify the institution or group for which the migration should be carried out.
Select Default institute unless you are a multi-organizational site:
Institutes and/or groups have been defined in the instance.
Choose institute or group for which the migration file should be created:
1 All institutes defined in the instance
2 All institutes and groups defined in the instance
3 Default institute
Please select [1-6,q]:
After choosing the relevant numbered option, the process begins.
Monitoring the Extraction Process
The log is displayed on the screen and is saved in the following location:
The process displays the following message:
Start exporting active object portfolios in MARC XML format
There will likely be no further output for up to 2 hours, depending on data size and the server strength, so do not close the terminal window or interrupt the process. If you do so, no data will be extracted and you will have start over again.
If you get the following message, the extraction process has completed successfully. Pressing a key leads you back to the menu.
Started packaging files
Packaging files to: sfx2alma_migration_r.49EXL_sfxlcl41_20151100_2015-03-20_10-50-19.zip
Packaging files to: sfx2alma_migration_r.49EXL_sfxlcl41_20151100_2015-03-20_10-50-19.tar
Finished packaging files
SFX data extraction finished
Press any key to continue
If you encounter any problems, contact your Ex Libris project manager.
Transferring the Extracted Data to Ex Libris
At the end of the extraction, the processed data can be found in the directory on the SFX server:
At this point, the extracted data is ready for uploading to the Ex Libris FTP. Verify that FTP is open to your region’s FTP server before uploading.
To upload the extracted data to the Ex Libris FTP:
- Select 2. Transfer extracted data from the SFX Migration Menu.
- Select the FTP server to which the data will be transferred, according to your region:
Select the ftp server by the optional regions:1. APAC2. EUR3. USA4. CANADA5. CHINAPlease select your region:
- You are asked for your username and password. Enter your SalesForce credentials.
Inform Ex Libris when the data transfer process completes.
- The data is transferred securely using SFTP.
- The data transfer process can take up to several hours to complete, depending on the size of your data and your Internet connection speed. The functioning of SFX is not affected by this process running in the background, and your normal work in SFX can proceed in parallel. If the process does not complete within 24 hours, contact Ex Libris.
The addresses of Ex Libris FTP servers are:
- APAC: ftp-ap01.hosted.exlibrisgroup.com
- EUR: ftp.exl.de
- USA: ftp.exlibris-usa.com