This document serves as a Root Cause Analysis for the service interruption experienced by Ex Libris customers on Higher-Ed Platform AP01
The goal of this document is to share our findings regarding the event, specify the root cause analysis, outline actions to be taken to solve the downtime event, as well as preventive measures Ex Libris is taking to avoid similar cases in future.
A service interruption was experienced by Ex Libris customers using the Higher-Ed Platform AP01 instance at the Singapore Data Center during the following time periods:
February 17, 2022 from 07:45 until 08:48 Singapore time
February 26, 2022 from 12:38 until 13:10 Singapore time
During this time frame there was a service disruption.
Root Cause Analysis
Ex Libris Engineers investigated this event to determine the root cause with the following results:
After an in-depth investigation done by Ex Libris engineers together with the Vendor experts to determine the root cause of this recent event, we found a similar malfunction behavior as reported in our January 3, 2022 RCA. Unfortunately, a service disruption occurred despite the implementation of all vendor recommendations.
The issue appears to be a malfunction in one of the components and we are working along with the Vendor to fully identify the root cause and to deploy a permanent fix.
Please note: The latest service disruption on Saturday February 26th occurred before the full implementation of the latest vendor recommendations
Technical Action Items and Preventive Measures
Ex Libris has taken the following action and preventive measures to avoid such an occurrence in future:
- As mentioned in our previous RCA, we at Ex Libris are constantly trying to improve our network environment and to provide a better and optimal service to our customers.
- As part of these improvements and transitions to advanced technologies, we intended to replace this network device with a new and improved model.
This replacement was scheduled to take place in Q3 of 2022 but it will be expedited and will be done during March.
- Following the on-going investigation along with the Vendor a new fix version was provided and implemented.
- According to the vendor recommendation the devices were rebooted as part of the new upgrade procedure.
- We have also introduced a new procedure to accelerate the failover process in case the same issue reoccur.
Ex Libris is committed to providing customers with prompt and ongoing updates during Cloud events. Ongoing and prompt updates on service interruptions appear in the system status portal at this address: http://status.exlibrisgroup.com/
These updates are automatically sent as emails to registered customers.