Using unique icons in the Object column in Brief/Table views
- Article Type: General
- Product: DigiTool
- Product Version: 3
We would like to use an icon in the "Object" column in the Table and Brief Views that represents the content of the item so that users know before they click on it that it will be a website, or a pdf, etc.
Currently in the "Object" column there is a generic icon for all mime types (the icon looks like a page with the globe in front of it).
We want this icon to be sensitive to the content that clicking on it will take you to, for example, if the first file listed in the table view were a pdf document - the icon should reflect this.
We plan to create these special icons [e.g. pdf, image, web page, word document], but I am not completely sure how to set this up so that Resource Discovery displays the appropriate icon that represents the format of the content.
We would also like to do this for items [books] that are stored in our Voyager catalog (e.g. users would click on a book icon to go to the library's holdings page).
Since DTL uses the MIME type as the default display, we would therefore define unique entity_types.
Here is the proposed setup (e.g. for Voyager Holdings):
1. Add OBJECT-CONTROL-ENTITY-TYPE to dlib dat01/tab/pc_tab_exp_field.eng [e.g. for library holdings icon]
OBJECT-CTRL-ENTITY-TYPE L Library Holdings icon LIBRARY
2. Restart pc_server
3. Create a new object with entity_type “Library”
4. Add descriptive MD (title/creator/etc.)
5. Attach file stream (e.g. tif that will only display for books) to object and save
6. Add new media [entity] type to /exlibris/dtl/u3_1/dtle/tab/www_r_conf.xml
<full_name lng="ENG">Library Holdings</full_name>
7. Add the icon(s) to /www_r_eng/icon/
8. Run harvest_02 (manually):
>>csh -f p_harvest_02 GEN01,A
9. Find by the PID or title
See also: KB #4395 [Adding new Media type] as it has some relevance.
- Article last edited: 10/8/2013