Metalib Searches not working after update
- Article Type: General
- Product: MetaLib
- Product Version: 4
We updated our Metalib 4 TEST installation with the latest CKB updates and our history records.
Numerous databases are now not working on our test installation.
We thought the failed searches were due to the fact that our CKB was not up to date but we have updated it.
Searches are still failing.
In checking the resources, everything seems set up the same way as on our PROD server.
Do you know what could be wrong?
Here's a list of databases that work and do not work.
More do not work than work right now on our test server -- although they work successfully in production.
I cannot find a pattern for the resources that do not work -- they are not the same access method, or publisher, etc.
Example Database that do NOT work:
1. Academic Source Premier (EBSCO)
2. PAIS International (CSA)
3. ATLA Religion (SILVERPLATTER)
4. CQ Researcher
5. Periodicals Index Online (Proquest)
6. Gen. Science Abstracts
7. Anthropological Literature (RLG)
Example Databases that do work:
1. ISI Web of Science
2. America: History and Life (ABC-Clio)
3. Biological Abstracts (ISI)
4. Compendex (Ei Village 2)
All of the non-functioning resources are Z39 (whereas the functioning resources are WEBCONFIG, etc.).
The host for Z39 is defined as "Metalib" instead of "lib7":
metalib@lib7(m4_1):~/m4_1/log>env | grep HOST
However, 'Metalib' isn't in the /etc/hosts.
Please try either changing occurrences of Metalib to lib7, or defining Metalib in the /etc/hosts.
Change all occurrences of Metalib in the following files:
/exlibris/metalib/m4_1/metalib_conf/metalib_start (the metalib_conf_create should then be run)
- Article last edited: 10/8/2013