How to add a DOI Button to the browser
- Product: Primo, SFX, Primo Central
The 'DOI button' is a saved link in the web browser which allows to search for DOI name and resolve it. It is based on JavaScrirpt and provides two options:
1. A dialog box which is opened in which we type/paste the DOI number
2. Highlighting a DOI that appears on Primo page without a need to type/paste it.
Instructions for Internet Explorer:
1. Make sure that the Links toolbar is visible. (Right click on the toolbar and make sure that "Favorites" is checked.)
2. Enter any website, and Go to "Favorites" > "Add to Favorites".
3. Once a favorite was created, right click on it and click on "properties".
5. Depending on your IE security settings, you may be asked to confirm that you trust the scripted window when you use it.
6. Resolve a DOI name in a displayed page by highlighting it and clicking on the DOI name button in your Internet Explorer Favorites toolbar. If you click on the button without selecting a DOI name, a dialog box will prompt you to select a DOI name to resolve.
Instructions for Firefox:
1. Go to "View"/"Toolbars"/"Menu Bar" to display the Bookmarks Toolbar.
2. Enter any website and add it to Bookmarks.
3. Once a bookmark was created, right click on it and click on "properties".
5. You can now resolve a DOI name by highlighting it and clicking on the item in the toolbar, or clicking on the button and pasting the DOI name into the text box provided.
Instructions for Chrome:
1. Go to Bookmarks Manager (Ctrl + Shift + O)
2. Right Click on an empty place
3. Add page
Test the button by either clicking on it or pasting 10.1000/261 into the text box, or by highlighting the string 10.1000/261 and then clicking on the DOI name button. Either should redirect your web browser to the DOI System Information Kit.
(All the information was taken from this link - http://www.doi.org/resolver_button/doibutton.html)
- Article last edited: 22-February-2016