This document serves as a Root Cause Analysis for the service interruption experienced by Ex Libris customers on Higher-Ed Platform CA01.
The goal of this document is to share our findings regarding the event, specify the root cause analysis, outline actions to be taken to solve the downtime event, as well as preventive measures Ex Libris is taking to avoid similar cases in future.
Primo VE CA01
Service interruption was experienced by Ex Libris customers served by the Higher-Ed Platform CA01 instance at the Toronto Data Center during the following times:
· Between Jan 10, 2023 from 10:24 until 11:42 Ontario time.
· Between Jan 11, 2023 from 13:52 until 14:47 Ontario time.
During these timeframes the service was either slow or unresponsive for Primo VE.
Root Cause Analysis
Ex Libris Engineers investigated this event to determine the root cause analysis with the following results:
High IO load was observed during the event which eventually caused the service disruption,
we suspect a newly added security agent as the cause of the problem and this is still under investigation.
Technical Action Items and Preventive Measures
During the first event (Jan 10, 2023) our engineers did not manage to get to the root cause and only performed a cluster restart to restore service.
During the second event (Jan 11, 2023) Ex Libris has taken the following action and preventive measures to avoid such an occurrence in future:
• The newly added security agent was stopped
• Our engineers added memory to the Linux buffer cache to eliminate the adverse effect of the security agent.
• Following the Linux buffer cache tuning the work of the security agent was resumed
• As mentioned above, we are still investigating and monitoring the issue
ExLibris is committed to providing customers with prompt and ongoing updates during Cloud events. Ongoing and prompt updates on service interruptions appear in the system status portal at this address: http://status.exlibrisgroup.com/
These updates are automatically sent as emails to registered customers.