- Article Type: Q&A
- Product: Aleph
- Product Version: 20
1. Is there a way to create bib records using the X-server? There's a "create item" option, but none, it seems, for bib records.
2. Besides using the OCLC port, NCIP or Aleph services, are there any other ways bib records can be created and loaded into Aleph?
1. There's a "www_x_update_doc" program in the ./alephm/source/www_x directory, but *no* www_x_create_doc program.
(This is in contrast to the case of items where there is both a www_x_update_item *and* a www_x_create_item program.)
Thus, it seems that bib records (or other doc records) can only be updated via xml -- not created from scratch.
2. If you are wanting to use the X-Server to load/create these records, it must be that the records are in XML. The p-file-02 service has an option to load "MARC XML Format" records.
Aside from the ones that you mentioned, another way that sites load/create bib records is via z39.50.
Category: Cataloging (500)
- Article last edited: 11/24/2014