- Article Type: General
- Product: Aleph
- Product Version: 20, 21, 22, 23
- Relevant for Installation Type: Dedicated-Direct; Direct; Local; Total Care
Staff are able to create duplicate item barcodes in an ADM library.
In order for duplicate barcodes to be written:
1. the z30_id1 Oracle index built on the z30_barcode needs to be NONUNIQUE*, and
2a. the ./xxx50/tab/tab100 CHECK-BARCODE parameter needs to be set to "N"**; or
2b. the duplicate barcode has been added using SQL.
* This is the normal setting, as defined in ./alephm/sql_tab/z30_create_index_1.sql and as seen in util a/17/14 for z30.
** This is *not* the normal setting: the usm50 tab100 has CHECK-BARCODE=Y -- which is the default.
Note: though the tab100 header entry for CHECK-BARCODE implies that the only effect of "Y" is to prevent blank barcodes, it can be seen in the check_z30 program that it also enables duplicate item-barcode checking.
The z30_id1 *could* be changed (in /exlibris/aleph/ann_n/alephm/sql_tab/z30_create_index_1.sql and z30_rebuild_index_1.sql) as UNIQUE, but the following SQL should be run before doing so to show instances of existing duplicate item barcodes:
> s+ xxx50
SQL> select z30_barcode, count(*) from z30 group by z30_barcode having count(*) > 1;
- Article last edited: 01/21/2016