- Article Type: General
- Product: Aleph
- Product Version: 18.01
Does Ex Libris have a recommendation as to how frequently the www_server and pc_server should be restarted?
Though there is no particular required schedule for restarting the servers, we usually recommend that they be restarted nightly. There are several reasons for this:
1. If the pc_ser_6nnn log is being written ("pc_transactions_log Y"), it could exceed 2 gig and you will get the "Value too large for defined data type" error described in KB 6589. As noted in KB 3966, we normally suggest "pc_transactions_log N", that is, *not* routinely writing the pc_ser_6nnn file.
2. The www_server_4nnn.log and pc_server_6nnn.log files can grow to sizes after several days which make them difficult to work with in diagnosing problems.
3. If you run clear_vir01 nightly, as most sites do, it is better to take the www_server and pc_server down during the 1 minute it is running (see KB 5297) -- to avoid the "Resource Busy" problem described in KB 8192-1433. At least 15 North American sites have encountered this problem in some form at some time.
4. Certain problems may be exacerbated by letting the server run for multiple days. Restarting the server clears things out.
- Article last edited: 10/8/2013