- Article Type: General
- Product: Aleph
- Product Version: 20
Desired Outcome Goal:
Upgrade from version 20 to 21 using Upgrade Express option# 3 (Upgrade in Place).
This option would seem to:
* require less disk space,
* preserve DB customizations, and
* require less down time.
But there is no documentation of the option.
Attached is a PowerPoint of the possible methods of upgrade and the steps required for each method.
The PowerPoint is for the v18 - v20 upgrade, but the principles are exactly the same for v20-21. Option 3 is similar to scenario 4 in the PowerPoint (see slides 30 and 41).
The required steps are translated to v20 - 21 below....
• Install v.21 (utree and database) in parallel with v.20.
• Shut down Aleph on both versions.
• Perform full cold backup of the database.
• Run the Oracle 11.1-11.2 upgrade kit on the cloned database (see How to Upgrade Oracle Software and Database 18.104.22.168 to 22.214.171.124).
• Import demo libraries. For instructions, refer to the Upgrade Express 20.01 to 21.01 User Guide.
• Log on to v.20.
• cd /exlibris/aleph
• Download and unpack the 20-21 UE kit.
• cd upgrade_express_2001_2101 ; upgrade_util (to invoke the UE kit utility)
• Use option 1 to define upgrade parameters.
• Use option 2 to export customer u-tree. Check the logs for errors.
• Log on to v.21; make sure Aleph is down ($alephe_root/aleph_shutdown and verify by: ps -ef | grep 21_).
• Open 20-21 UE kit in v.21. :
cd /exlibris/aleph/upgrade_express_2001_2101; upgrade_util
• Unpack the configuration tables. Check the logs for errors.
• Manually copy the /alephe/aleph_start file supplied with the original v.21 installation (found in u21_1/alephe.orig) to your current $alephe_root and synchronize it with the /alephe/aleph_start from v.20. Make sure you retain v.21 settings and only update local parameters like the pw_library.
• Modify ORACLE_SID in aleph_start to match the DB which was used by ver. 20.
• Log on again to v.21 on the target. You should be able to dlib to your user libraries at this point. Test util-f-4 on “doc” to check the connection to the DB.
• Log on to the UE 20-21 kit, check the environment and backup the Oracle tables to be upgraded.
• Run step 3 (the actual upgrade) from the UE 20-21 menu (all steps).
• Perform the post upgrade express actions in the UE 20-21 kit.
• Perform the manual post upgrade implementation notes.
• Start Aleph and test v.21
Category: Installation & Upgrades (500)
Subject: Upgrade Express (500)
- Article last edited: 3/25/2014