- Product: Aleph
- Product Version: 20, 21, 22, 23
- Relevant for Installation Type: Dedicated-Direct, Direct, Local, Total Care
We want to run the item-11 Service to delete certain item records. Prior to running the job we want to back up the records which the job will be deleting. What's the best way to do this?
Note: If you want to delete all the items for a particular sublibrary, or, if you want to create scripts with a series of "csh -f" commands, then consult the article " How to run p_item_11 item deletion for particular sublibraries *MASTER RECORD* ".
1. item-11 will not delete items on loan (and has no override for this condition). You may want to run the cir-04 Loan Report to get a list of items on loan, and decide what you want to do about them.
2. The item-11 service has a "Record Management" option to delete HOL and BIB records which were connected to the items removed, and are now not in use by any item. This option can save the work of running other services to do this later.
2a. If this delete-HOL-BIB option is being used, your libraries should be backed-up via the Oracle Data Pump (see the article " Refreshing Test server data Using Oracle Data Pump ") or, possibly, for a smaller library, the util a/19 (Export Library) utility.
2b. If the delete-HOL-BIB option is not being used, then the file-03 Service can be used to back up just the z30 Item table.
3. The item-11 Service requires an input file. You run the ret-adm-01 Service to select the items you want to be deleted. (You can run ret-adm-01 and item-11 in either GUI Cataloging or Circulation, but you must be connected to the ADM library.) Note: the ret-adm-01 output file is item record keys (that is, the 9-digit ADM doc# + the 6-digit sequence number). This is the format that item-11 expects.
4. Run item-11 with the file produced in step 3 as input. The Service has an "Update Database" option. It should be run at least once with a value of "No". You can choose to override the presence of Hold Requests, Bookings, and Photocopy Requests and delete the item anyway (and have a notice sent to the patron requesting the item saying that the request has been deleted). As noted in #2 above, you can use the "Record Management" option to delete HOL and BIB records which were connected to the items removed, and are now not connected to any item.
- Article last edited: 26-Apr-2019