Skip to main content
ExLibris
  • Subscribe by RSS
  • Ex Libris Knowledge Center

    aleph_startup: ".../aleph/exe/ rts32:Command not found”

    • Article Type: General
    • Product: Aleph
    • Product Version: 18.01

    Description:
    I made the mistake of uninstalling a service pack in our Test region without shutting down Aleph. I then shut down Aleph and attempted to restart it but it won’t come back up.

    Restarting aleph gives “/exlibris/aleph/a18_2/aleph/exe/ rts32:Command not found”. Going to that directory, I see lots of files with ".sp925" extensions but no corresponding file with *no* ".sp..." extension. This indicates that those files are missing.

    What can I do to get these files and get our Test region back?

    Resolution:
    The commands:

    > cd $aleph_exe
    > ls rts32

    showed:

    rts32: No such file or directory

    The rts32 executable is a critical file which must exist. You *should* be able to create or recreate it at any point with this command:

    > create_rts

    But on this server this command was yielding the following errors:

    ar: cannot open /exlibris/aleph/a18_2/aleph/exe/aleph_dom.o
    No such file or directory
    ar: cannot open /exlibris/aleph/a18_2/aleph/exe/aleph_md5.o
    No such file or directory
    ...
    ...
    ...
    ar: cannot open /exlibris/aleph/a18_2/aleph/exe/check_doc_fixed_field.o
    No such file or directory
    ar: cannot open /exlibris/aleph/a18_2/aleph/exe/check_doc_line_al.o
    No such file or directory
    ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to /exlibris/aleph/a18_2
    /aleph/exe/rts32x
    mv: cannot access /exlibris/aleph/a18_2/aleph/exe/rts32x

    <end create_rts32>

    If the reason for your doing the uninstall in the first place was not a significant one and might be worked out with the help of Ex Libris Support after re-installing the Service Pack, then you should try that.

    As described below, in this case, Ex Libris Support tried recompiling different programs. This was unsuccessful. *The problem was ultimately resolved by copying the entire a-tree from the Production (18_1) instance (on the same server) to the Test (18_2) and manually configuring the needed files to fit the Test environment. See final paragraph for details.*

    Sequence of unsuccessful attempts to resolve the problem:

    Noticing that all of these missing files were ".o"-suffix files, I did the following command to copy these files from the Production (a18_1) instance on this server to the Test (a18_2):

    aleph1-18(2) cp -p /exlibris/aleph/a18_1/aleph/exe/*.o .

    After doing this, I was able to run the create_rts command without error.

    But the aleph_startup was still getting these errors:

    Load error : file 'init_value'
    error code: 173, pc=0, call=1, seg=0
    173 Called program file not found in drive/directory

    Load error : file 'check_oracle_exist'
    error code: 173, pc=0, call=-1, seg=0
    173 Called program file not found in drive/directory

    Recompiling the init_value and check_oracle_exist programs resolved these errors, and aleph_startup started without error -- but the www_server, pc_server, etc., did not actually start.

    I found that the www_server, pc_server executables were missing and created them with the create_xxx_server command. After which, the servers started, but we got the following error:

    Load error : file 'edit_field'
    error code: 173, pc=0, call=3, seg=0
    173 Called program file not found in drive/directory

    Compiling edit_field created a correct executable, but then there was an unending sequence of *other* programs which needed to be compiled. We tried doing a compile_all, but we found that certain programs (for instance, the com_io gnt's) were not recreated.

    *The problem was ultimately resolved by copying the entire a-tree from the Production (18_1) instance (on the same server) to the Test (18_2) and manually configuring the needed files to fit the Test environment: In the a-tree.../a18_2/product/local and product/bin directories, we changed the path of the links from 18_1 to 18_2; plus, the login scripts and the cshrc files had to be modified for the correct path.*


    • Article last edited: 10/8/2013
    //Feedback