edi-11 fails with “Cannot append file” / "Could not create file" messages
- Article Type: General
- Product: Aleph
- Product Version: 21, 22, 23
* After running Send Outgoing EDI messages (edi-11), the vendor reports that EDI claims are not appearing on their ftp server
* The claims that are meant to be sent are instead moved by edi_11 to the /exlibris/aleph/u21_1/xxx50/edi/out/xml_rejected directory
* The accompanying log file in the xml_rejected directory shows this, indicating that a successful FTP connection was made, but that the EDI file was not created :
Cannot append file /exlibris/aleph/u21_1/xxx50/edi/out/edi_outgoing/edi.20130822.222900116111.0 Could not create file.
Connecting to ftp server ftp.harrassowitz.de
220 "Welcome to HARRASSOWITZ FTP server."
230 Login successful.
200 Switching to Binary mode.
CASE 1: This problem occurs because of a combination of 2 factors:
1 The / (forward slash) that appears in the Vendor EDI Code for this vendor (In this case, the Vendor EDI Code has been defined as HARRASSOWITZ/S), and
2 The use of option "4" in the EDI-OUT-REMOTE-FILE-NAME switch in the edi_out_attr table.
1 Open the Aleph Acquisitions module
2 Switch to the Administration tab on the left-hand Navigation pane
3 Click on 'Vendors'
4 Search for the vendor
5 Remove or replace the forward slash in the Vendor EDI Code. For example, change HARRASSOWITZ/S to HARRASSOWITZ_S
6 Save the changes
7 Move the xml file from the xml_rejected directory into the /exlibris/aleph/u21_1/xxx50/print/edi directory
8 Re-run Send Outgoing EDI messages (edi-11)
In most cases, the presence of the forward slash in the Vendor EDI Code is NOT a problem. But if option '4' in the EDI-OUT-REMOTE-FILE-NAME switch in the edi_out_attr table is specified, the forward slash is included in the EDI file name, which causes the error you are seeing. Option '4' in the EDI-OUT-REMOTE-FILE-NAME is specifically designed to format EDI file names according to the naming convention required by Harrassowitz.
Depending on switch settings in the edi_out_attr file, the error message that appears in the log file may also be "No such file" or "Cannot append file'.
- Article last edited: 22-July-2016