Users want the full 008 field mapped into Analytics.
Ex Libris already takes significant parts of the 008 and LDR and makes them specific fields depending on meaning of position.
It seems a lot of institutions are mapping the 008 information they want to report on to 9xx tags using normalization and indications rules and are then mapping the 9xx tags to Analytics in order to get the information that they need. There are a lot of people asking that the entire leader and 008 get mapped to analytics. Examples of missing information:
- position 23 = a indicating microfilm
- position 23 = b indicating microfiche
- position 28 = f indicating item is a government document (HathiTrust asks for this)
- position 7 - method of acquisition (especially to track 7 = g, gift)
Ex Libris Response:
Ex Libris will explore adding more detail from the 008, such as, form of item.
Analytics already has the following bibliographic 008 positions:
- 008/06 date type
- 008/07-10 begin publication date
- 008/11-14 end publication date
- 008/15-17 place
- 008/35-37 language
From the IGeLU-ELUNA Analytics Working Group, Analytics Evidence Document
Please send questions or comments to the Analytics Working Group Listserv