How to delete items in batch
- Product: Alma
- Product Version: March 2017
- Relevant for Installation Type: Multi-Tenant Direct, Dedicated-Direct, Local, TotalCare
How to withdraw (or delete) items in batch by scanning the barcodes?
Perform the following steps:
- Scan the barcodes into a text file (with a .txt or .csv extension) or an Excel file (with the extension of .xls or .xlsx) with a header of BARCODE, PID, Item_PID, or Item_ID.
- Upload the file to create an itemized set by performing the following steps:
- From the Alma menu > Administration column > Manage Jobs and Sets click on "Manage Sets".
- Click on "Add Set" and choose "Itemized" from the dropdown menu.
- Fill in the set details by performing these steps:
- Add a "Set name" and "Description" (optional).
- Click on "Set content type" and choose "Physical Items" from the dropdown menu.
- Define who can see the set by selecting either "Yes" or "No" for the "Private" option.
- Make sure the "Status" is set to "Active".
- In the "Add Contents from File to Set" section, click on the yellow file folder. From your computer's file tree locate and select the desired file to upload. Then click on "Save".
- Optional: check the contents of your set by locating the set and clicking on Actions > Members. When done inspecting the records in the set click on the "Done" button.
- Run the "Withdraw items" job against the set by performing these steps:
- From the Alma Menu > Administration column > Manage Jobs and Sets click on "Run a Job".
- From the jobs list, click on the "All" button next to "Type" and select "Withdraw" from the dropdown.
- In the smaller jobs list, select the "Withdraw Items" job and click on the "Next" button.
- In the select jobs list, select the set of items you want to withdraw and click on the "Next" button.
- In the task parameters screen you have the following options:
- The "How to handle holdings without items and bibliographic records?" options describe what you can do with the bibliographic and holdings record. Click on the button for your choice.
- Check the "Do not withdraw items with active requests" option to retain items with active requests.
- Check the "Do not withdraw items with non-active requests in the queue" option to retain items with non-active requests.
- Check the "Do not withdraw items with work orders" option to retain items with work orders.
- Click on the "Next" button.
- In the schedule job screen, click on the "Next" button to start the job.
- In the review and confirm screen, review your job setup and when satisfied click on the "Submit" button. If you need to make changes click on either the "Back" link to return to the screen where you need to make changes or the "Cancel" link to abandon the job.
- In the confirmation dialog box click "Confirm" to launch the job.
- The Monitor Jobs screen will display. Click on the "Refresh" button to monitor the progress of the job. When the job completes it will appear in the "History" tab.
- Use the "History" tab to find the job and click on "Actions" > "Report" to verify that the job ran correctly or to see the errors. Click "Actions" > "Events" to see a detailed error report.
As an alternative, items can be moved into a "withdraw" location. A set of all items in the "withdraw" location can then be created, and the "Withdraw Items" job can be run against that set. The "Can physical items be moved in bulk without creating a transit status?" article details how to move items in bulk from one location to another.
- Article last edited: 17-Mar-2017