You can manage users in the Network Zone and distribute them to member institutions. A distributed user becomes registered at every institution in the Network Zone. (Also see Linking Users in Collaborative Networks.)
You can update the Network Zone users through the following processes:
- Using the update/notify users job.
- Using an API.
- SIS can be run once in the Network Zone institution.
- Manually updating the user in the User Edit form
In all of these cases, the user record is updated in all Institution Zone members where the user record exists, i.e. has been previously pulled into, as described below.
- You can register the user at the Institution Zone and push the update to the Network Zone. However, updates that are done in the IZ record do not propagate to the NZ record.
- Updating the user record from Primo updates only the local record, and has no effect on the Network Zone record.
The above-mentioned processes update existing records at each member institution, but do not create a new record for a user that does not exist in a member institution. The user record at the member institution is automatically retrieved from the Network Zone when required, for example:
- When loaning to the patron
- When placing a request for the patron
- When the patron logs in using an external IdP
When either of these actions take place at the Network Zone, all of the external data is distributed to the member institutions, if a local record has already been created. This excludes roles, proxy for, and statistics. Local data is not overwritten at the member institution.
To find a user that has not been distributed (meaning a user in the Network Zone), a search may be performed in the member institution using a Network scope:
To enable the distribution of external users, please contact Ex Libris customer support.
To distribute a user from the Network Zone to the member institutions:
- On the Find and Manage Users page (Administration > User Management > Find and Manage Users), select Distribute from the user's row actions list and select Confirm in the confirmation dialog box. Alternately, select Save and Distribute at the top of the User Details page when editing a user. The user is distributed to the member institutions in the network.
In a fulfillment network in a Network Zone, if a patron is not distributed, when the patron from institution A walks into institution B, the patron’s information is retrieved from institution A as the first step of managing the patron’s activities. Alma's default behavior is that each user's identifier fields (such as student ID, barcode, etc) remain non-unique between institutions. These identifiers are not copied from the other institution. (Alma maintains an internal field to track the user's identity among institutions.)
Alternately, in a fulfillment network in a Network Zone, Ex Libris can configure that user identifiers remain identical for that patron at all institutions in the fulfillment network. For example, the fulfillment network can be configured such that a specified user name configured at one fulfillment network institution is automatically configured in the linked record at the other institutions.
If you use the same IDs to identify students at multiple institutions, ensure that these IDs are unique at all member institutions.
To activate or to modify these settings after they have been configured, contact Ex Libris Support. Also see Linking Users in Fulfillment Networks.