- Esploro and Alma share the same database and a common administrator user interface. When accessing the administrator user interface as an Esploro manager, you see only those areas of the user interface that are relevant to Esploro. For general information about the user interface, see The Alma User Interface.
- Some administration and management tasks you must perform in Esploro are the same as the administration and management tasks that you would perform in Alma. For example, to manage an Esploro user, such as a researcher, you must access the Alma user management page. See Editing Users and User Management for more information on adding users, changing passwords, and so forth. Note that you must have the relevant Alma user roles to perform the activities in these areas of Alma. See Alma Administration Tasks Related to Esploro, below, for a list of Esploro-only management tasks that are performed in the Alma areas.
The Researcher Profiles
Esploro's Researcher Profiles is a dedicated user interface for your institution's researchers to view and edit their profile information, submit new deposits, and view their deposits and assets, along with usage statistics.
The Research Portal
The Esploro Research Portal is the public user interface that showcases a university's research output and researchers. The Research Portal provides discovery features for access to researchers (their profile/organization) and the database of research output.
Workflow and Terminology
|Admin UI||The Esploro administrator user interface.|
|Asset||A research output from a researcher. The asset includes metadata about the asset, as well as either the digital files that comprise the output or links to the output.|
|Asset category||A conceptual category associated with a research asset See Research Asset Categories and Types.|
|Asset metadata||The information part of an asset that describes the research asset and contains its status and other information.|
|Asset Type||The specific type of research asset, such as Journal Article, Book Chapter, or Dataset. Asset types are grouped by asset category See Research Asset Categories and Types.|
|Contributor||Any person or organization, other than creators, who contributes to a research asset.|
|Creator||The owner and any other person who is considered the author or creator of the asset.|
|Deposit||A research asset before it is approved to be part of Esploro's repository (status Draft, Submitted, or Returned).|
|DOI||Digital Object Identifier, used to identify resources and the entities that register them.|
|ETD||Electronic Theses and Dissertations|
|External ETD||An ETD created in association with an institution or organization other than the local one.|
|External organization unit||A research organization unit that is external to the institution.|
|Funder||The organization that funds a grant. In Esploro, funders are selected from external research organizations.|
|Funder agency||A sub-unit of a funder. In Esploro, funders are selected from external research organizations.|
|Grant||Money or other funding provided by an organization to assist in creating an asset.|
|Investigator||A researcher who was awarded a grant.|
|Originating system ID||When importing assets, this is the ID of the asset from the originating system.|
|Owner||The researcher who deposits an asset, or for whom an administrator deposits an asset.|
|Publishing profile||A configuration that either immediately publishes a set of research assets, schedules a set of research assets to be published, or provides a means to publish a set of research assets on demand.|
|Relationship||A connection between two assets, such as one being a part of another.|
|Research organization unit||The specific area within an organization under which a researcher is submitting a research asset, or with which a researcher is affiliated. The unit may be associated with the researcher and/or the asset.|
|Repository||An institution's collection of assets.|
|Research topic||The subject of the research asset, such as Biology or History. See Research Topics. For the Australia/New Zealand region, you can ask Ex Libris to enable ANZ research topics (Fields of Research and Socio-Economic Objectives) in place of the default topics.|
|Researcher||A person who creates or contributes to a research asset. In Esploro, an institution's researchers must also be Alma users: an administrator adds the person as an Alma user and then tags the person as a researcher, adding information relevant for their researcher role. Alternatively, an administrator can upload researchers in bulk, adding them as Alma users and researchers simultaneously.|
|Researcher Proxy||A person (who may or may not be a researcher) who manages the assets of another person (who is a researcher).|
|Staff-mediated research deposit||A deposit submitted on behalf of a researcher by an administrator.|
|Subject||A research topic added by the user.|
Research Organization Units
Digital Object Identifier (DOI) Registration
For an introduction to DOIs, see the Overview in the DOI Handbook.
Esploro can mint DOIs on behalf of your institution, acting as a go-between for you and a DOI registration agency. Currently, Esploro provides this service for institutions that work with DataCite and CrossRef. You must have an account with one of these sites.
DOIs include two parts: a prefix representing your institution, assigned to you by the agency, and a suffix that uniquely identifies a resource.
After configuring the institution's DOI format, then, when adding assets / deposits to Esploro:
- You can add an already registered DOI to the asset. No information is exchanged between Esploro and the DOI registration agency, since the DOI is already registered.
- You can reserve DOIs and define and edit on which asset category / type to make a registration without staff assistance. Staff must enable this feature for researchers.
- You can ask Esploro to generate a DOI. The generated DOI is reserved for the asset, after which you can then ask Esploro to register the DOI with the registration agency, This process happens automatically and Esploro notifies you on success or failure.
Esploro interfaces directly with DOI registration agencies to register and update DOIs. A nightly job updates the DOI registration agencies with changes to your assets.
When you register a DOI and a dataset does not include a file or a link to content, a warning is displayed that the dataset does not have one and prompts you to cancel the registration.
Unapproved deposits cannot be registered (Register DOI) until the approval process is complete.
Migrating DOIs to Esploro: As part of your migration to Esploro, any DOIs that you previously have registered with DOI registration agencies, but want to migrate to Esploro, will be handled in two stages:
- Assets with DOIs that are intended to be managed using Esploro are flagged (this is done in coordination with the Ex Libris implementation team). Migrating the DOIs (updating the DOI registration agencies to point to Esploro) occurs in the next step, which might occur at a later time.
- When configured to do so (see Configuring DOI Agencies), Esploro updates the DOI registration agencies with the migrated assets that were flagged in step 1 and removes the flags from the assets.
Esploro User Roles
The following user roles are available for Esploro users:
||Access all Esploro-related configuration areas.|
Manage internal and external organization units.
|Research Assets Curator||
||Manage research deposits and assets.|
|Research Assets Manager||
||Manage research deposits and assets, including assigning deposits to curators|
||View-only access to research deposits and assets.|
||Create and update research deposits.|
Research Asset Categories and Types
A research asset may have one of the following categories.
||Is submitted using a distinct process.|
||Is submitted using a distinct process.|
Research Asset Statuses
A research asset may have one of the following statuses.
|Draft||Yes||Saved, but not yet submitted for approval.|
|Submitted||Yes||Submitted and waiting for approval.|
|Under Review||Yes||Assigned to an administrator for review and/or approval.|
|Returned||Yes||Returned to the submitter for corrections or clarifications.|
|Approved||No||Approved. No longer considered a deposit.|
|Imported||No||Imported from an import profile.|
The Esploro Administrator User Interface
The Esploro Administrator User Interface is the same as the Alma user interface. For more information on this interface, see The Alma User Interface. Additional or changed features are described in the following sections.
Researcher Information Icon
The researcher information icon is similar to the User Information Icon, but contains the researcher's affiliations.
Alma Administration Tasks Related to Esploro
Since Esploro is based on the Alma platform, some administration tasks specifically related to Esploro must be performed in the Alma areas of the UI. These are:
- Managing administrator roles – Although you manage researchers on the Find and Manage Researchers page (see Managing Researchers), Esploro administrators are managed on the Find and Manage Users page in Alma. See Managing User Roles.
- Managing address information for research-related institutes – Institutes can have contact information specific for Esploro-related communication. See Configuring Institution/Library Contact Information.
- Managing Esploro-related letters – Letters may be sent to researchers or libraries after various events occur in Esploro. See Configuring Alma Letters. You can manage whether a user receives these letters while managing the researcher or the user record.
- Managing Esploro-related sets – You can create and manage sets of research assets and researchers. Sets are used for running jobs on multiple records and for publishing. See Managing Search Queries and Sets.
- Configuring the Users integration profile (SIS) for Esploro – You can configure whether the Student Information System is sending only user information, researcher information, or both, as well as which fields are included in the file. See Student Information Systems.
- Importing files for sets of assets – See the Import Research Assets Files job in Running Manual Jobs on Defined Sets.
- Deleting and purging users – A researcher associated with an asset or grant cannot be deleted on the Find and Manage Users page in Alma. When using bulk deletion (see Purging Users), affiliated researchers that are associated with assets or grants and that will be purged by the Purge Users job become non-affiliated researchers. Some of their user information is retained, including name, IDs, emails, and other non-affiliated researcher fields.
- User identifiers related to Esploro appear in the User Identifier Types code table; see Managing User Identifiers. Esploro related identifiers include LCNAF (Library of Congress Name Authority File Number), ORCID, Researcher ID, and Wikidata, and VIAF.