Because the inner links of Primo records are dynamic (as a result of a search queries), crawling tools that search the Web cannot reach the Primo records to index them. The Primo Sitemap tool externalizes these links for indexing by generating site map files for each Primo view and including one or more of the search scopes linked to the view.
For on-premises customers the following site map files enable search engines to index and search Primo’s full display:
- <view>_site_map_index.xml – The site map index file, where <view> indicates the name of the view.
- gz files (such as <view>_primo_sitemap_0.xml.gz) – The site map files, where <view> is the name of the view and 0 is the number of the sitemap in the index file.
These files are stored in the following directory on the server (where <v> is the Primo version and <c> is the Primo copy):
The Primo Sitemap tool uses the site map protocol defined at the following URL:
Because the extract always includes restricted search scopes, sites that use restricted search scopes should take this into account when creating site map files.
The Primo Back Office can run on either of the following ports (where <v> is the Primo version and <c> is the Primo copy):
- Port 170x (such as 1703) via Tomcat – The site’s root for this configuration is the following directory:/exlibris/primo/p<v>_<c>/ng/primo/home/system/tomcat/search/webapps/ROOT
- The default port 80 via Apache – The site’s root for this configuration is htdocs:/exlibris/primo/p<v>_<c>/primoe/apache/htdocsThis configuration requires you to create symbolic links in the htdocs directory to the site map files in the ROOT directory.Refer to the Redirecting Ports on the Primo Server section of the System Administration Guide to set up this configuration.
To generate a site map:
- On the Tools Monitoring page, select Generate Sitemap in the Create a Tool drop-down list.The Generate Sitemap page opens.Generate Sitemap Page
- Enter the following fields on the page:
Generate Sitemap Fields Field DescriptionName*The name of the sitemap tool that can be executed and monitored in the Tool Monitoring list.Views*The name of the view. Select a view from the drop-down list.If any scopes are defined for the selected view, the Scopes field displays on the page.Scopes*The search scopes for the view. Select the scopes that you want to include in the search.The e-mail address where the completion message is sent.
- Click Save.
- Execute the tool when needed. For information on monitoring tools, see Tools Monitoring.
- If the Primo Back Office runs on default port 80 via Apache, configure the following symbolic links:
- A link in htdocs to ROOT/robots.txt (where <v> is the Primo version and <c> is the Primo copy):ln -s /exlibris/primo/p<v>_<c>/ng/primo/home/system/tomcat/search/webapps/ROOT/robots.txt /exlibris/primo/p<v>_<c>/primoe/apache/htdocs/robots.txt
- A link in htdocs to ROOT/<view>_site_map_index.xml (where <v> is the Primo version, <c> is the Primo copy, and <view> is the name of the view from which the sitemap was generated):ln -s /exlibris/primo/p<v>_<c>/ng/primo/home/system/tomcat/search/webapps/ROOT/<view>_site_map_index.xml /exlibris/primo/p<v>_<c>/primoe/apache/htdocs/<view>_site_map_index.xml