- Product: Summon
How do we provide catalog content to the Summon Unified Index?
December 6, 2016 Update: Copy edits only; no changes to content.
Your full library catalog can be included in the Summon Unified Index. To ensure that a complete set of your records is included in the index and kept up-to-date requires three tasks:
- An export of your full library catalog
- A daily scheduled task (cron job) that exports your library catalog's updated and deleted records and sends them to the Summon servers via FTP
- A quarterly export of your full library catalog
All full catalog loads take between 4-6 weeks to go through our QA process and become live in the Summon index.
While we are processing your first full load, you can send us daily updates and deletes; these will be held and processed after the full load becomes live. Or, you can batch them and send them when your catalog is live.
Daily updates and deletes are processed and then when the Summon Index is updated, the updates and deletes go live. Important information about the index update process and timeframe is available in the Summon Index Update article.
The quarterly export is not mandatory. However, it is helpful to us in being able to provide you with quality service. Quarterly exports are looked at by our QA catalog experts to make sure they are properly encoded and that nothing has changed. After our experts check the export, we load it into the index.
By uploading full quarterly loads into the index, the indexing process becomes more efficient. If this task is performed quarterly, and you have a major change in your catalog, we will be able to process the new full load faster than if we had not processed a full load for many months.
The quarterly export can be a scheduled task (a cron job) that exports your full library catalog and sends them to the Summon servers via FTP. If you use a cron job to perform quarterly exports, your cron job output report will notify you of the full export.
Whenever you upload a full catalog load, please notify us as soon as possible. You will need to follow this process outlined here: Summon: Requesting a Full Load of Library Catalog
When we process a new full load, we purge all of the older records and use the newer records. The updates and deletes with time stamps greater than the previous full load are processed a second time to maintain order. This means that updates will be processed against the new full load to bring your catalog and the Summon Index into sync.
Exporting Your Records
Many ILS systems support an export process. The records should be:
- Exported in MARC 21 format - The file extension should be .mrc or .marc.
- UTF-8 Encoded
- Uploaded in binary mode, not ASCII mode
- Batched - Do not submit separate files for each individual record. Separate files create processing issues.
- Full - Not compressed
Daily exports should only include what has changed in the past 24 hours.
Do not reuse unique identifiers (bibliographic identifiers). Reusing identifiers will cause processing issues.
Uploading Files to the Summon Unified Index
To add, remove and update your files to the Summon Unified Index, you will need to send the files via File Transfer Protocol (FTP). The Summon FTP site supports FTP and FTPS. However, the site does not support FTP through an Internet browser (such as Internet Explorer or Firefox).
The Summon service FTP server supports several options to FTP your content via FTP clients such as WinSCP and FileZilla:
- Basic FTP on port 21
- FTPS (FTP over SSL)
- SFTP or SCP on port 22 to ftp.summon.serialssolutions.com [New Feb. 2012]
Before you begin, make sure you have the following:
- A FTP client to access the FTP server
- Your Username and Password
NOTE: If you need your Username and Password to be resent, send a message to us using the Support Portal (accessible from the More Sites drop-down menu at the top of this page).
- Your files are properly named using Summon catalog file naming conventions
After you log in to the FTP server, you will have access to three directories for updating your holdings: Full, Update and Delete.
- Full exports should go into the Full directory
- Daily updates should go in the Updates directory
- Deletes can be uploaded to either the Updates or Deletes directory,depending on the deletion method
For more information, see How to delete catalog records from the Summon Unified Index.
- Date Created: 9-Feb-2014
- Last Edited Date: 6-Dec-2016
- Old Article Number: 8784