- Product: Summon
How do we provide catalog content to the Summon Unified Index?
Your full library catalog can be included in the Summon Unified Index. To ensure that a complete set of your records is included in the index and kept up-to-date requires three tasks:
- An export of your full library catalog
- A daily scheduled task (cron job) that exports your library catalog's updated and deleted records and sends them to the Summon servers via FTP
- A quarterly export of your full library catalog
Exporting Your Records
- Exported in MARC 21 format - The file extension should be .mrc or .marc.
- UTF-8 Encoded
- Uploaded in binary mode, not ASCII mode
- Batched - Do not submit separate files for each individual record. Separate files create processing issues.
- Full - Not compressed
Uploading Files to the Summon Unified Index
To add, remove and update your files to the Summon Unified Index, you will need to send the files via File Transfer Protocol (FTP). The Summon FTP site supports FTP and FTPS. However, the site does not support FTP through an Internet browser (such as Internet Explorer or Firefox).
Basic FTP on port 21
FTPS (FTP over SSL)
SFTP or SCP on port 22 to ftp.summon.serialssolutions.com
Before you begin, make sure you have the following:
A FTP client to access the FTP server
Your Username and Password
(If you need your Username and Password to be resent, submit a case and we can get that information for you)
Your files are properly named using Summon catalog file naming conventions
After you log in to the FTP server, you will have access to three directories for updating your holdings: Full, Update and Delete.
Full exports should go into the Full directory
Daily updates should go in the Updates directory
Deletes can be uploaded to either the Updates or Deletes directory,depending on the deletion method
For more information, see How to delete catalog records from the Summon Unified Index.
Date Created: 9-Feb-2014
Last Edited Date: 6-Dec-2016
Old Article Number: 8784