- Product: Voyager
- Product Version: 7.0.1 and higher
- Relevant for Installation Type: Multi-Tenant Direct, Dedicated-Direct, Local
What WebVoyage customizations are supported? What will Support help us implement and troubleshoot?
Customers can implement any customizations they would like. Because Tomcat WebVoyage allows for a very broad range of customizations and configurations, sites must maintain and reapply their customizations at upgrade. A good rule of thumb to keep in mind is the more you customize, the more work when you upgrade.
Customers are encouraged to use the Customer Listserv (Voy-L) to seek customization help.
Some simple customizations are documented in the Knowledge Center's Knowledge Articles and Community Knowledge sections. Use search terms like "WebVoyage", "Tomcat", "OPAC", and the specific customization you want to make (for example, "Action Box" or "Search Tab").
Support has limited ability to assist with WebVoyage customization. You are encouraged to consult colleagues on the customer listserv ("Voy-L") if you have questions.
Fully supported. Examples include:
- System Administration - Setting up basic options for an installation, such as policies and search indexes
- webvoyage.properties file - Fine-tune and customize messages and text strings, update library logo and information
- Help file subdirectory - customize help pages
- XML Configuration - customize search tips and choose MARC fields for display
- Customizations outlined in the WebVoyage Architecture Config.pdf
Very limited support. If possible, Support may try to help customers identify files to update or to understand site structure in order to implement a customization. But abilities are extremely limited. Examples might include:
- CSS files - basic settings of colors and fonts; sites may develop and implement more advanced updates with highly sophisticated placement and display of elements
- XSL templates - basic changes such as editing static content, moving and removing elements from a page
Follow best practices for accessibility, system performance, maintainability and upgradability
No support. Sites electing to implement advanced customizations must have sufficient development and coding knowledge to create, troubleshoot, implement and maintain advanced customizations. Examples include:
- Xservice (vxws) - coding an application to replace WebVoyage or coding select functions to be embedded in other web applications
- Filter between vwebv and vxws - creating an application that intercepts calls to vxws that enhances/enriches XML data
- XSL advanced template customization
- How to update WebVoyage customizations and test new features before upgrade?
- Is there a mobile page or version for WebVoyage?
- What browsers are supported in WebVoyage?
- Collection of Tomcat WebVoyage customizations
- Article last edited: 15-May-2018