- Product: 360 Link
Should we use library-specific holdings databases if we have Summon or 360 Link?
There are a few important points you should consider when creating or using library-specific holdings (LSH) databases -- also called library-managed holdings -- if your library has Summon, 360 Link or both:
- A holding (title) in an LSH database may not be discoverable in Summon. For a journal, if the title and ISSN do not match what exist in a corresponding 360 KB authority record (assuming the title does exist in 360 KB), then Summon may not recognize the title and will not grant access to citations for the title. This is because titles in an LSH do not undergo the process of normalizing to existing authority titles in 360 KB. Normalization is important for Summon, as it allows Summon to assign stable identifiers from the authority records in 360 KB to citations in Summon. If a title is not normalized, then it uses a non-normalized identifier, which can lead to inaccurate results or absent results.
- ProQuest does not create 360 Link: Available Target Linking-Syntaxes ('Linkers') for titles in LSH databases. If an LSH provides users (patrons) with the rights to see a citation in Summon, users will not see an article-level link for the result. They will see a journal-level link or a database-level link (or both) if you have added one or both to the title in your LSH.
Here are some steps you can take to mitigate the above issues:
- If you have a title that you do not see tracked in 360 KB, we recommend that you submit a data inquiry to request that the title be added to an official 360 KB database. If you have a database that you do not see tracked in 360 KB, you may also submit a data inquiry requesting that the database be added.
- We recommend that you only use LSH databases for print, microform or other non-electronic book or journal holdings. This is because no article linking is necessary or possible for print databases, and also because those are usually local collections not contained in existing 360 KB collections. Be sure to change the Format dropdown in the Database Details page in the Client Center as applicable.
- If you need to create an LSH for your electronic holdings, you may wish to consider unchecking the Display In checkboxes for 360 Link and Summon, so that the holdings in the LSH do not appear in 360 Link and Summon search results.
Consider reviewing 360 Core: Data Optimization Checklist for Discovery Services for additional optimization recommendations.
- Date Created: 9-Feb-2014
- Last Edited Date: 28-Feb-2014
- Old Article Number: 8735