- Product: 360 Link
Should we use library-specific holdings databases if we have Summon or 360 Link?
There are a few important points to consider when creating or using library-specific holdings (LSH) databases -- also called library-managed holdings -- if your library has Summon, 360 Link or both:
- A holding (title) in an LSH database may not be discoverable in Summon. For a journal, if the title and ISSN do not match what exists in a corresponding 360 KB authority record (assuming the title does exist in 360 KB), then Summon may not recognize the title and it will not show up as subscribed. This is because titles in an LSH do not undergo the process of normalizing to existing authority titles in 360 KB. Normalization is important for Summon, as it allows Summon to assign stable identifiers from the authority records in 360 KB. If a title is not normalized, then it uses a non-normalized identifier, which can lead to inaccurate or absent results.
- 360 Link does not create target linking syntaxes ('Linkers') for titles in LSH databases. If an LSH provides an end user with the rights to see a citation in Summon, they will not see an article-level link for the result. They will see a journal-level link or a database-level link (or both) if you have added one or both to the title in your LSH.
Here are some steps you can take to mitigate the above issues:
- If you have a title that you do not see tracked in 360 KB, we recommend that you submit a data inquiry to request that the title be added to an official 360 KB database. If you have a database that you do not see tracked in 360 KB, you may also submit a data inquiry requesting that the database be added.
- We recommend that you only use LSH databases for print, microform or other non-electronic book or journal holdings. This is because no article linking is possible for print databases. Be sure to change the Format dropdown in the Database Details page in the Client Center as applicable. If you are having issues with title display in the new 360 Link UI (blank sidebar page, not showing as available), enter a default URL in the database details section.
- If you need to create an LSH for your electronic holdings, you may wish to consider unchecking the Display In checkboxes for 360 Link and Summon, so that the holdings in the LSH do not appear in 360 Link and Summon search results.
Consider reviewing 360 Core: Data Optimization Checklist for Discovery Services for additional optimization recommendations.
- Date Created: 9-Feb-2014
- Last Edited Date: 15-Dec-2020
- Old Article Number: 8735