- Article Type: General
- Product: Aleph
- Product Version: 20
- Relevant for Installation Type: Dedicated-Direct; Direct; Local;
A Find against our STIDN standand number index for the word "0585181845" gets no results, while a Find for "0585181845 (electronic bk.)" retrieves the correct record. Why is this?
I see that the Standard Number search is using the STIDN index; and that the STIDN tab00.eng entry is specifying "21" as the filing routine:
H STIDN IND 21 00 00 Standard Identifiers
Routine 21 does not specify "isbn" as the filing routine, therefore, the index entry generated is the entire subfield.
You will find that the search "0585181845?", *will* retrieve the "0585181845 (electronic bk.)" record.
You have four choices:
1. Instruct staff to include the "?" at the end of the number when searching "Standard Identifiers".
2. As described in Article #000043396 ("When do you recommend using Y for tab100 AUTO-TRUNCATE-Z01-FIND?"), change the tab100 AUTO-TRUNCATE-Z01-FIND=N to AUTO-TRUNCATE-Z01-FIND=Y.
3. Instruct staff to *Browse* for ISBNs rather than doing the Find. (The Browse does truncation automatically.) Or
4. If they don't like using the Browse, you can add this line to pc_tab_sear.eng:
FI ABC01 L ISBN ISBN
And have staff use that instead of the "Standard Identifiers" when searching ISBNs.
Article 43396 (When do you recommend using Y for tab100 AUTO-TRUNCATE-Z01-FIND?)
- Article last edited: 10/8/2013