- Article Type: General
- Product: Alma
Desired Outcome Goal:
Creating an Analytics report to list call numbers and barcodes for one of our collections, the LC call number should sort so that if a letter comes after the decimal point, it will be listed before a call number that has a number after the decimal point, e.g., PN1997.A1 G467 2008 DVD should come before PN1997.2 .W54 2003 DVD. Sort by ascending and descending doesn't achieve this.
* Customize a canned (out of the box) report; it sorts LC Call Numbers correctly.
* Found in: /Shared Folders/Alma/Inventory/Reports/Detailed Item Count by Library and Location
The following procedure can resolve this issue:
* Import data [...] into Excel.
* Move column containing call numbers to column A.
* Insert blank columns for Column B and C. If your file has headers, name them “Intermediate” and “New Call Number” respectively.
* Copy the part 1 formula in B2. Use handle in lower right corner to drag down to end of column.
* Copy the part 2 formula in C2. Use handle in lower right corner to drag down to end of column.
* Select call cells and click on Customize Sort in Excel and select the sort column to be "New Call Number" (or column C if you have no headers).
* Please note this formula does only the base call number and will not sort volume numbers, issue numbers, or sheet numbers.
=IF(IF(ISERROR(FIND(".", B2, 1+FIND(".", B2))<FIND(" ", B2)), IF(ISERROR(FIND(".",B2, 1+FIND(".",B2))), FALSE, TRUE), FIND(".",B2, 1+FIND(".",B2))<FIND(" ", B2)), B2, CONCATENATE(LEFT(B2,FIND(".",B2)),"0.",RIGHT(B2,LEN(B2)-FIND(".",B2))))
(ExL: Copy and paste the new column using Paste-Special > Values; this will enable to copy the information to other documents without losing information)
Category: Alma analytics - Alma
- Article last edited: 5/6/2014