- Article Type: Q&A
- Product: Alma
We've been testing importing MARC records from suppliers and can't see any way to import a suffix into the 852 $$i field of the holdings record - is this possible? The suffix would be different in every record - I think we could ask the suppliers to put it in a particular MARC field.
I've been looking at the How to guide on the Doc Centre called 'How to define the default Holding Record Shelving scheme...'. On the last slide it says:
"In addition to sub field h of the 852 field of the holding record, other sub fields may also be filled in with the bibliographic call number"
Does this mean other fields can be copied from the bib record in a similar way to the call number?
The information on the last slide says:
* In addition to sub field h of the 852 field of the holding record, other sub fields may also be filled in with the bibliographic call number
* This depends on the call number type and behaved in standard accordance with MARC rules.
* See http://www.loc.gov/marc/holdings/hd852.html for more information
Shelving designation $h
- Classification part (NR) $i
- Item part (R) $j - Shelving control number (NR) $k
- Call number prefix (R) $l
- Shelving form of title (NR) $m
- Call number suffix (R)
Example: If first indicator in 852 of the holdings record is 8 (= Other scheme), then 084 subfield a from the bibliographic record should be automatically transferred to 852 sub field h of the holdings record and 084 sub field b from the bibliographic to 852 sub field i of the holdings record. (Currently this is not happening, only 084 sub field a is automatically transferred to 852 sub field h of the holdings record. This will be fixed with the November 2013 Release).
So this means that after the November Release, you could edit the default holdings template to have first indicator in field 852 be 8 and ask the vendors to send the MARC file with the suffix in field 084 sub field b of the bib record. Then, when you load the file, the holdings record will copy 084 sub fields a and b from the bib into 852 sub fields h and i. This is according to MARC standard.
* if the 852 field first indicator is 0 (LC) then the 050 will be copied from the bibliographic record
* if the 852 field first indicator is 1 (Dewey) then the 082 will be copied from the bibliographic record
Category: Inventory - Alma
Subject: IE/Holding/Item - Alma
- Article last edited: 11/26/2013