RefWorks for Google Docs is an add-on for Google Docs that enables you to run a simplified version of RefWorks inside of Google Docs. RefWorks for Google Docs enables you to access and cite your references while working in Google Docs.
To find the right add-on for your operating system and writing tool, see Finding the Right Writing Tool Add-on.
- Provides read-only access to your RefWorks account, enabling you to view and insert your previously collated references into your document, formatted using previously defined citation styles.
- You can add inline citations. Adding a citation also adds a bibliography to the end of the document. As you add or remove references, the add-on automatically updates the bibliography.
- When you share your document with another user who is using RefWorks for Google Docs, they can edit and delete any RefWorks references in the document and can add their own references to the document.
- Every time you log into RefWorks for Google Docs, it automatically synchronizes with your RefWorks account.
Installing RefWorks for Google Docs
- Open a blank document and select Add-ons > Get Add-ons and search for RefWorks.
Google Docs Add-Ons
- Select Free and Allow to add RefWorks for Google Docs.
- Select Add-ons > ProQuest RefWorks > Manage citations. A RefWorks sidebar opens on the right.
RefWorks for Google Docs - Not Logged In
- Whenever you open the sidebar, as long as you did not log out after your last session, you are still logged in. If you are logged out, enter your credentials to log in to RefWorks. Your references appear in the sidebar.
RefWorks for Google Docs - Logged In
- To set the citation style, select Change citation style in the configuration menu, select a citation style and select Update. Every time you perform this action, all citations and the bibliography are updated to the new style.
If you experience any problems, see Getting Help / Submitting Ideas to Ex Libris.
Using RefWorks for Google Docs
Select the reference and select Cite this. When you do, the following are added to your document:
- An inline citation
- A bibliography at the end of the document. If a bibliography already exists, the reference is added to it.
If you delete a citation, select Update document from the configuration menu to update the bibliography.