You can create citations in RefWorks to copy to your document, or more conveniently, you can add them while working in your document using a RefWorks add-on. In addition, the add-ons enable you to manage the citations in the: delete, add, restyle, and so forth.
Save to RefWorks is a browser bookmarklet that enables you to add references to your RefWorks account directly from your browser.
See the sections on this page for information about the bookmarklet and about the add-on relevant for your environment.
Save to RefWorks
Save to RefWorks is a bookmarklet that you can install in your browser's favorites (bookmarks) bar. When you are browsing a website that has references that you would like to add to your RefWorks account, select the bookmarklet. RefWorks attempts to save the references and full texts.
Save to RefWorks should work on any modern browser.
Installing Save to RefWorks
- Ensure that your browser's favorites toolbar is currently visible in your browser.
- In RefWorks, select Tools > Tools. The Tools page appears.
- Select Install Save to RefWorks. A dialog box appears.
- Drag and drop the Save to RefWorks add-on to your browser's favorites toolbar. The add-on is installed.
- Click anywhere on the page to close the dialog box.
If you experience any problems, see Contact RefWorks Support.
Adding References Using Save to RefWorks
- Ensure that you are logged into RefWorks.
- While browsing any website, when viewing a page containing a reference, or information about a reference, select Save to RefWorks from your browser's favorites toolbar. Save to RefWorks opens a right sidebar.
Save to RefWorks Right Sidebar
- If Save to RefWorks detects a single reference on the page, Save to RefWorks prefills as many fields as it can. Enter or correct information as required and select Save to RefWorks. The reference is added to your RefWorks account.
- If Save to RefWorks detects multiple references, a list of references appears in the right sidebar. Select the relevant references and select Save to RefWorks. You can edit each one by first opening the reference (select > in the reference row).
- If you have multiple projects, select the project to which you want to save the reference and click Continue.
Finding the Right Writing Tool Add-on
To find the right writing tool for your operating system and version of Microsoft Word, see the table below for your operating system and the row of your Word version. The writing tool add-on that matches your system, either Write-n-Cite (WnC) or RefWorks Citation Manager (RCM), is listed in the right column.