All users can view and edit the purchasing feed.
The following roles are required to edit the scheduled purchasing profile:
- Rialto Administrator
Scheduled Purchasing allows library administration to create a feed of offers to be either purchased or added to your DDA pool at a chosen frequency. This allows Selectors to spend less time on manual selection, and provides a mechanism to have a predictable spend on an ongoing basis. Scheduled Purchasing plans consist of a purchasing query, purchasing rules, and a ranking profile. Once these are in are place and the plan is fully enabled by your administration, Rialto will produce a list of best-fit candidate offers, ready to be purchased or added to a DDA pool.
Rialto Scheduled Purchasing provides a number of advantages compared to the legacy approaches to automated purchasing:
|Function||Legacy systems||Rialto Scheduled Purchasing|
|Eligible titles||Only newly published titles||Any title in the Marketplace|
|Recency||Upon publication, captures new (profiled) titles||Captures any title based on query|
|Ranking||True or False on match to profile; no ranking||True or False + ranking to assign fitness; boosting offers according to ranking profile|
|Amount purchased||All matches||Best matches up to monetary cap|
|Managing budget||Restrictive query limits matches per purchase interval||Monetary cap defines spend per purchase interval|
Once the title is purchased automatically:
- the PO is created in Alma with the relevant PO lines.
- the specific offer is added to the list of institution's holdings.
Viewing and editing the Scheduled Purchasing feed is done from the Scheduled Purchases page (Market > Automatic Selection > Scheduled Purchase).
You can do the following on this page:
- Review the feed and reject undesired titles.
- New for November! Trigger the creation of the feed outside of the feed schedule.
The Scheduling Purchase Feed
After a scheduling plan is ran, a feed of candidate titles is created.
This feed is renewed at a chosen weekly or bi-weekly frequency, determined by the Rialto Administrator.
This feed does not contain the existing holdings of your institution.
This feed has a review period, defined by the review day and period that were specified for the plan (see Scheduled Purchasing Management). The review period is the amount of days from the time the feed was created until the purchase day. Within this review period, users can evaluate the purchase candidates and reject the undesired titles from the feed.
Duplicate Purchase Prevention
To help reduce purchase duplication with manual orders, a badge will display on all scheduled purchase offers that appear elsewhere in Rialto:
Reviewing the Purchasing Feed and Rejecting Undesired Titles
- Currently, if a user rejects titles from the Scheduling Purchase feed, additional titles are not added to meet the defined caps.
- The rejection is only from that particular scheduling plan. It does not apply to any other plans.
- The rejection is permanent for that specific scheduling plan.
- On the Scheduled Purchases page (Market > Automatic Selection > Scheduled Purchase), in the actions menu for the scheduling plan that is up for review, click Review. The feed opens.
- Click the offer you want to review. The offer opens in the right-hand pane.
On the offer, you can see the purchased scheduling rule that triggered the offer to be added to the feed. New for November! Within the Facets pane, you can filter the list of offers by rules, to allow you to readily find the titles you need to evaluate for purchase.
- Select Reject to remove the offer from the feed. The offer still appears in the feed, but it is now grayed-out and disabled.
A rejected title continues showing as rejected in the feed, to enable other relevant users see what was rejected.
Do this for an many offers as needed.
Triggering Creation of the Feed Outside of Schedule
New for November! Normally the Scheduled Purchasing feed is created at a chosen weekly or bi-weekly frequency, determined by the Rialto Administrator. However, you can run the plan on demand without waiting for the weekly/bi-weekly run. This action immediately activates the plan and creates a snapshot of offers that are candidates for purchasing / adding to DDA.
- On the Scheduled Purchases page (Market > Automatic Selection > Scheduled Purchase), in the actions menu, click Create snapshot.
The snapshot creation might take a few minutes, if the number of rules to process in the plan is large. Once you select this option, you will receive the notification that the snapshot is being created.
When the snapshot is ready, click the name of the plan to open to view it.