All users can view and edit the Selection Plan feed.
The following roles are required to create and edit Selection Plan profiles:
- Rialto Administrator
Selection Plans allow library administration to create a feed of offers to be either purchased or added to your DDA pool at a chosen frequency. This allows Selectors to spend less time on manual selection, and provides a mechanism to have a predictable spend on an ongoing basis. Selection Plans consist of a query, rules, and a ranking profile. Once these are in are place and the plan is fully enabled by your administration, Rialto will produce a list of best-fit candidate offers, ready to be purchased or added to a DDA pool.
Rialto Selection Plans provide a number of advantages compared to the legacy approaches to automated purchasing:
|Function||Legacy Systems||Rialto Selection Plans|
|Eligible titles||Only newly published titles||Any title in the Marketplace|
|Recency||Upon publication, captures new (profiled) titles||Captures any title based on query|
|Ranking||True or False on match to profile; no ranking||True or False + ranking to assign fitness; boosting offers according to ranking profile|
|Amount purchased||All matches||Best matches up to monetary cap|
|Managing budget||Restrictive query limits matches per purchase interval||Monetary cap defines spend per purchase interval|
Once the title is purchased automatically:
- the PO is created in Alma with the relevant PO lines.
- the specific offer is added to the list of institution's holdings.
Viewing and editing the Selection Plan feed is done from the Selection Plans page (Market > Automatic Selection > Selection Plans).
You can do the following on this page:
- Review the active feed and reject undesired titles,
- Trigger the creation of the feed outside of the feed schedule.
Duplicate Purchase Prevention
To help reduce purchase duplication with manual orders, a badge displays on all Selection Plans offers when they appear elsewhere in Rialto:
The Selection Plan Feed and Review Period
Selection Plans can be test-run to see if they bring the desired results. When you are sure that the plan works as expected, the Rialto Administrator will activate the plan.
After a Selection Plan has been activated, it runs at the chosen weekly or bi-weekly frequency, and a feed of candidate titles is created.
This feed does not contain the existing holdings of your institution.
This feed has a review period, defined by the review day and period that were specified for the plan (see Scheduled Purchasing Management). The review period is the amount of days from the time the feed was created until the purchase day. Within this review period, users can evaluate the purchase candidates and reject the undesired titles from the feed.
In the Selection Plans page you can see which plans were activated and which are awaiting review.
Reviewing the Selection Plan's Feed and Rejecting Undesired Titles
- If a user rejects titles from the Selection Plan's feed, additional titles are not added to meet the defined caps.
- The rejection is only from that particular Selection Plan. It does not apply to any other plans.
- The rejection is permanent for that specific Selection Plan.
- On the Selection Plans page (Market > Automatic Selection > Selection Plans), in the actions menu for the plan that is up for review, click Review. The feed opens.
- Click the offer you want to review. The offer opens in the right-hand pane.
On the offer, you can see the Selection Plan's rule that triggered the offer to be added to the feed. Within the Facets pane, you can filter the list of offers by rules, to allow you to readily find the titles you need to evaluate for purchase.
- Select Reject to remove the offer from the feed. The offer still appears in the feed, but it is now grayed-out and disabled.
A rejected title continues showing as rejected in the feed, to enable other relevant users see what was rejected.
Do this for an many offers as needed.
Triggering Creation of the Feed Outside of Schedule
Normally the Selection Plan's feed is created at a chosen weekly or bi-weekly frequency, determined by the Rialto Administrator. However, you can run the plan on demand without waiting for the weekly/bi-weekly run. This action immediately creates a snapshot of offers that are candidates for purchasing / adding to DDA. Alternatively, if the plan hasn't been activated yet, you can create a snapshot on demand to test-run the plan; however, this does not activate the plan or enable purchasing. If you like the results, work with the Rialto Administrator to activate the plan.
- On the Selection Plans page (Market > Automatic Selection > Selection Plans), in the actions menu, click Create snapshot.
The snapshot creation might take a few minutes, if the number of rules to process in the plan is large. Once you select this option, you will receive the notification that the snapshot is being created.
When the snapshot is ready, click the name of the plan to open to view it.