Via SFX, you can make use of the Unpaywall service. This service can direct users to a free copy of an article that may otherwise be hidden, especially if it is an individual article in an institutional repository. By using the Unpaywall API, SFX checks if such a free copy is available and obtains the appropriate link to it.
The Unpaywall service is provided by the ImpactStory team (https://impactstory.org/).
To enable the Unpaywall service on your SFX:
- Activate the UNPAYWALL target and its service on the target list in the SFX Admin Center.
- Add your email address to the API call (the provider uses it to track usage and contact you in case there is any problem).
If you are a Total Care customer and do not have access to the server, open a Salesforce ticket for this change to be made.
- Go to the command line of your SFX instance.
- Add your email address to the configuration file oadoi.config in the config directory.
- Optional: Set a rule to only show the service if there is no other full text available.
There is currently a rule (display logic) set to only show the service if there is no full text from publishers (non-aggregators) available. We strongly recommend that you change this rule to show the service only if there is no full text at all available (not just aggregators). Go to SFXAdmin > Menu Configuration > Display Logic and change the appropriate display logic in the list.
For more information, refer to the SFX Target and Alma E-Collection Configuration Guide.