- Product: Voyager
- Relevant for Installation Type: Multi-Tenant Direct, Dedicated-Direct, Local, TotalCare
Overview of record relationships in Voyager cataloging.
Voyager uses MARC standard Authority, Bibliographic, and Holdings records, and a Voyager defined (non-MARC) Item record.
- The Bibliographic Record contains all of the bibliographic information about the item: Title, Author, Subject Headings, etc.
- The Holdings Record, also known as a MFHD, contains location, call number, copy number, and any specific holdings information. A separate holding record exists for every unique combination of location, copy, and call number.
- The Item Record contains information to the unique piece in hand: the barcode number, item type, copy number, copy price, temporary location/item type, Enumeration/Chronology information, item status, etc.
- The Authority Record contains the standardized forms of names for people, corporate bodies, meetings, titles and subjects. They provide authority control and establish a recognized form for an entity name.
Bibliographic, holdings and item records contain information about a book, serial, etc. Authority records contain standardized forms for information used in bibliographic records.
For a number of helpful examples of record relationships, see: Record Relationships in Cataloging.pdf
See the Cataloging User's Guide.
- Article last edited: 05-Feb-2021