Expiring patron records in Voyager
- Product: Voyager
- Relevant for Installation Type: Multi-Tenant Direct, Dedicated-Direct, Local, TotalCare
Brief overview of expiring patron records.
When you wish to expire a patron’s record because they are not currently enrolled or have left the institution, it is important to expire the “record,” not the “barcode.” If records for patrons no longer affiliated with your institution are left active, patrons are able to keep and repeatedly renew items you may have no idea they have on their account. Some schools allow a large number or unlimited renewals. It may be impossible to locate a patron by the time you find out they’ve had something for a year or more after they left the institution.
Workflow to Expire a Patron Record using the Circulation Client:
- Bring up the patron record.
- Press on the word Patron on the top tool bar or right click in the patron record and choose “edit patron” from the drop-down list.
- When the Edit Patron Record box opens you will see “Expires:” in the lower left corner. Click on the ellipsis in the small square to bring up the calendar and use the arrows to change the month, and/or year and click on the day of the month to set the day of the expiration date. Click OK. Click Save.
You have now changed the expiration date, effectively blocking their ability to renew or charge out additional items, but notices will still print and the patron will still be able to view their “My Account.”
It may be preferable to suspend a patron record in Voyager
- Article last edited: 31-Aug-2020