- Article Type: General
- Product: Voyager
- Product Version: 9.0.0 and higher
How to delete related records (bib, holdings, and items) using Global Data Change (GDC)?
- Create a record set containing the bibliographic or holdings records to be deleted (see "Note" below).
- In Rules tab, create a Data Change Rule Set with a Data Change Rule that uses a "generic" and "always true" Condition such as "MARC Control Field Exists" with Field set to "LDR".
- In Rules tab, add to the Data Change Rule created in step 2 a Record Disposition consequence of "Delete All".
- Add the Data Change Rule Set to a Data Change Rule Set Group.
- In Job Management tab, submit Data Change Job with Record Set from step 1 and Rule Set Group from step 4.
- Review log and output files in View Running/Completed when job completes.
If you provide the BIB ID the entire hierarchy will be deleted (Bib/MFHD/Item). If you provide a MFHD ID, the MFHD/Item will be deleted but the BIB will remain.
If there are related records such as circulation activity, purchase orders, fines/fees, etc., GDC does not delete the record and logs an error. Any blocks that prevent record deletion are logged. For more information See: Basic overview of catalog record batch deletion and suppression in Voyager
The use of an "always true" Condition such as "MARC Control Field Exists" with Field set to "LDR" is predicated on the fact that the record set is correct and contains only those records you want to delete.
See "Rules Generation" in the Global Data Change document for more information.
- Article last edited: 02-Feb-2016